• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Multimedia SSGR14 thread

Whiterabbit

RATS! I was planning on putting a sign on my Land Rover for next year's rally saying "OTHER"
Lots of foreign military vehicles out there and I'm spreading the word about the rally to them!
The invasion has begun.
If all goes well I'll be able to come early next yr and learn the trails to help run some scheduled group trail rides.
(retired=twice the free time, half the money!)

Last edited:

scottgs

Don't worry silly wabbit, we still have our work cut out for us. Remember that we are still the bastard children on the forum.

But perhaps if we keep growing our numbers, one day we'll reach Tatra status and finally have a home.

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I'm 99% sure it is just the M915 series, which includes the M915+A's,M916,M917,M918,M919 and M920.

M915,M916,M920 are tractors
M917 is a dump truck
M918 is Bitumus (tar)tanker
M919 is a cement mixing truck, think cement plant on wheels, not the every day mixer. Real cool some one on here has one.
I'll add the other 1%, they are all in the M915 series of vehicles.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. Our almost last action of the season - potato day - just ended, so I use a quiet moment to upload a few more pics. I did mostly hang around the registration tent, worked on Andy's engine swap (great action) and wandered over the vendor and camp area, so not much pics of the trails or the lodge area.

All pics are numbered. If there is only one or a few MVs in there, please send me a PM telling who you are (screen name and preferably real first name as well) and what the designation of your MV is (M37, M51A2 etc). I will then update my post so each pictured MV has the correct owner-screen name with. If you want a better quality of a pic of your truck, let me know as well.

Here we go.
2014 GA Rally_003c_resize-nc.jpg2014 GA Rally_005c_resize-nc.jpg2014 GA Rally_006c_resize-nc.jpg2014 GA Rally_009c_resize-nc.jpg2014 GA Rally_012c_resize-nc.jpg

001: TMNT M35A2 Deuce. Scott picking me up at the end of a very long traveling day. The best 25 minutes of that day, the other 25 hours are better forgotten quickly.
002: Swiss' tent where I could bunk down for the first few nights. Drew and Emily turned it into a **** hotel by providing a real bed with mattress with two blankets to go with it.
003 - 005 Waking up way to early (still on Czech time, 6 hours earlier) I had an early morning stroll through the still rather empty camp ground and vendor's area

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you wouldn't have any trouble figuring out which vehicle was your ride at the bus station!

zout

Just think - Duramtown has 3 counties of property we all can have fun on - This little slab of Georgia Clay does not even make a drop into what they own and where ya can run nor be future camping area's. Just like a WET DREAM for MV WORLD. Time to get out of that field if they want them toucher than chit competition events going on and taking 1/4 of the field that was formerly nothing to them besides a wasted area. Now that DT is making money on the field - drop your pants as they are going to want to make a BIG PROFIT out of it.

DUH - I saw like biker events going on - is that why we had to pay a premium ????? I paid $68 for sleeping in my truck and being on the property for 2 1/2 days.

sandcobra164

Zout, are you proposing we stay out in the woods? I'm game for that and I've scouted some pretty decent spots but I took it easy this year and rented a cabin. I figured I'd have to pay $75 for 3 nights in a tent versus $180 for 3 nights sharing a cabin with some friends. The idea of having a bathroom and A/C won out as my Wife and Boy's were coming up so it worked out good. If you'd like to try sleeping in the woods, I'm game!!! DT is going up on fees, it used to be 15 a night to sleep in the field with 1 truck and 3 people. I've paid $5 additional a night for my youngest son to sleep in the tent with us a few times and it's not like they provided a thing other than allowing my boy to sleep in the field in a tent with me. DT is in it to make money and it must be nice to be them. I'd love to be on the other side of that cash register because they are raking it in!!!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like everything else charge more give less.
The fact they charged more and gave us less field.
Of course this did not affect me I pretty much had a whole field to play deuce doctor in.
I still would pay because this years rally had a lot of trucks and people.
The trail rides were the only thing lacking. But again this really did not affect me because I was busy the entire time with the motor swap.
Next year I will want to trail and hope MD Morgan wife will be back at it, my first year she was great leading the rides

Whiterabbit

It's not the Smokey Mountains where you go to camp and enjoy the camping thing. Having to pay a high price to toss a tent grinds me. I can understand a fee for cabins or RV hookups but if I pay a driver, spectator, or passenger fee I can park a truck there overnite but if I sleep in it or next to it why do I have to pay more?
I'll come to the rally next yr of course but I just hate reaching into my pocket for "primitive camping" next to some pine trees and have to listen to those stupid dirt bikes.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK y'all, I don't like paying the fees either but I guess if I look at it from DT's point it makes more sense. Hey, it's a for profit operation so I suppose they (DT) need/expect to get something from every venue they can just for providing the area and the few amenities they do offer. Business is business.

I always rent a cabin (good for up to 4 people) and a power/water point on the field (good for six people) by DT's rules. I didn't think it was fair to have to pay the "spectator fee" for the armband since all we do is hang out in the Rally Field and visit folks etc., but hey, it is what it is and it was worth it for me.

Now...I'm very appreciative of the coordination the Rally Staff did and the discounts they were able to get for us on the spectator fees. I think we were supposed to pay five dollars per day per person which would have cost me $140.00 for 7 people for 4 days...instead I paid $84.00...Thanks again Rally Staff!!

I suspect that some folks were just attending the rally and "rough camping" and never paying ANY fees and nobody ever really checked...but I don't know this to be true.

I can say this, the Rally Staff/Planners did make an effort this year to get a ballpark figure dollar wise on how much our members spent just toward DT in fees, equipment rentals, cabins/power points, spectator/rider/driver armbands etc.

I suspect that will be a pretty impressive number and can possibly be used by next years planning staff to negotiate more/better/cheaper concessions from DT.

Just some random ramblings from an old fat man.:papabear:

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a question from a Rally newby.

Is the official info thread dead and we continue discussing things here or should the last few post actually be in the other thread and this one kept purely for pics and discussion of pics etc? I get confused which thread to use for what now. :?: :wink:

Oh and beware when some people start refer to themselves as rambling old fat man. You better start taking care very quickly and carefully :wink: :wink:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All in all, I was about 10 days out, had a lot of catching up to do in more than one way, including final report deadlines for four projects, organizing our one but last big event, running our blacksmith workshop for tourists (it is a long Saturday-Tuesday weekend here), the fifth birthday of our first granddaughter, spending time with my wife etc, etc. So give me some slack here.

Besides, believe it or not, there are a few more important things to do than uploading pics and videos for SS, like driving 6 hours to spent a few hours with our second son and our 4-month old second granddaughter.

DSC_0021_resize.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks