• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2018 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 17-21, 2018

profo

Just got home 1423 miles round trip 7.5 mpg and no break downs was a great trip in LMTV! Thank you everyone for the great hospitality, Marty and Michelle P

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got just up the road and EMD567's m814 died hard- I suspect clogged injector screens after all the troubleshooting. That's why it is best to convoy together when you can! SCSG hung out and helped for about 30min, but then he had to go. The fridges can't stay unplugged for very long, and it is a 3hr drive to Columbia. So Ron 73m819 came out and hauled the road train back to Durhamtown. We loaded John's stuff in the deuce I was driving, and I dropped him off at home around 4:45. We will go back down in a week and swap injectors.

I got to Mike's house just after 7pm. Helped him with some stuff, ate some leftover MKT chow, and he brought me home.

I was glad I could help Mike make it happen with the MKT. I always have such an awesome time at the rally and even though I only get to see some of you this one time a year, it's like a big family reunion. I hated not being able to stay longer, but glad I at least stayed Wed night. Thanks to John for giving me a place to stay and Mike for feeding me.

Next year all my dust should have settled and we can return to your regularly scheduled 'what crazy stuff will Ferro try' program.

For everyone that has the least little bit to do with pulling this event off, you guys and gals rock.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well, got home at about 8:30 due to a few events,

Event one is that John now holds the record for rally recovers, Adam is going to have to work real hard to beat this, I get a call from John to come and get him, it seems his truck STOPPED again, dropped the tent down rigging, went and grabbed him and drug his train back to D town.

Then finished up packing/loading, picked up ALL the left fire wood for next year, headed out,
Event two is on 77 the 819 just shut off after a hard bump, and would not restart, acted like a bad cell, BOBBY with his crew came by, stopped to help, sent one pickup to get jumper cables (auto style clamp type), charge one battery, still no start, so hit the other battery, instant start, I now know which battery is bad, I really want to THANK BOBBY FOR HIS HELP.

Now for the last bit of interesting news,
Adam drove the number 2 mkt truck and the plan was to share John's hooch, well John's wife Jane made a surprise visit, NOW there THREE sleepers but only TWO sleeping places, after a bunch of back and forth, it was decided that John would share the hooch with his "BESTEST friend" while Jane slept in the Honda.

More NON fake news later

sandcobra164

I hate that John had to get towed in and out. My nifty 250 slung oil everywhere from the accessory drive leak but ran strong today. My GPS said I averaged 57 mph with Welder1's Deuce rolling with me. He had that rubber band tight the entire way home!

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I hate that John had to get towed in and out. My nifty 250 slung oil everywhere from the accessory drive leak but ran strong today. My GPS said I averaged 57 mph with Welder1's Deuce rolling with me. He had that rubber band tight the entire way home!
He did not get towed in and out, towed in twice at the same rally, even Adem has not achieved this.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prayers answered that all units are reporting safely, though a bit frazzled, at their home LZ's.

That 5-Ton Wheel is going to have a better story than the lead role in those HOME ALONE movies!!! Well traveled. Lost. Found. Abandoned. Misplaced. Unaccounted for..... What's next?

This may require a thread all its own!

Anywaze.... Glad this was a successful rally.

BUT remember....

nopics

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is anyone still there? Or did anyone pick up a 5t rim that was near the registration tent?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The wheel was still there next to the rotten pine tree by registration when I moved my 1061 trailer to the cabins Friday afternoon.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, where do you start?

Before I get to the individuals, I want to thank our sponsors, who have made an event like this possible. .....

Now, that all being said.........................................

I want to thank all of the volunteers........

We put a lot of effort into this and it's our sincerest hope that when people get home and they're tired, broke, windburned and smell funny, they say "That was super fun". If people can do that, then we're happy.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you again.

And if I have forgotten you and not given you a call out, please accept my apologies. It is incredibly hard to remember every single action and person.

p.s.- this is me, separate from the rally

A bunch of people looked at my deuce and some of the stuff I've done and said some really nice things about it. I really, sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.
Did somebody already thanked CLINTO for all the work he put in it? I attended only the 2014 meeting, but I recognize a good job when I see it. The behind the scenes organizing is huge for such events and takes lots of time and energy and patience (especially of those around you).

:not worthy::beer::not worthy:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'd like to express my personal thanks to Clinto, Kenny, MKT Mike, and all the Rally Staff for what I think was a well oiled machine-like Rally. My crew had an excellent time and nobody yelled at us!!:naner:

Also, I was on a quest for some of the large Hardig(sp?) cases for a real world mission and Pete (PCTrans), Bobby (Streamline), and another feller (forgot his name) gave me what I thought was a good deal on 7 all together.:beer:

I REALLY liked the way Clinto conducted the "Raffle" this year. Buy allowing ticket winners to pick out whatever they wanted/needed at least 3 folks I know well got to pick things they REALLY needed.:beer:

MamaBear was hesitant about going this year but decided to go at the last minute....and even said..."Next year make sure we get the same cabin"!!:tank:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I REALLY liked the way Clinto conducted the "Raffle" this year. By allowing ticket winners to pick out whatever they wanted/needed at least 3 folks I know well got to pick things they REALLY needed.:beer:

That was Dave's idea. u/RustyJunk. Wish I could take credit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that was fun. I've had an eventful summer and frankly was almost going to cancel my rally trip. I'm so glad I was able to make it.

At the 11th hour I decided to bring my daily driver and it proved to be the right decision. My son drove the SECM Wednesday and it suffered a catastrophic transfer case explosion. The front driveshaft is just gone, like blown off.

Anyway is was great to see so many old friends and make some new ones. I'm already planning on next year's rally. Thanks to all the folks who give me so much credit at the registration tent. It's a super easy job when your kids can do it for you. Sorry about checking out early, both Jonathan and myself had church obligations that couldn't be postponed.

Hope everyone had a great time.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My five ton Just wanted to stay and enjoy the rally for another week. After I replace the injectors, the fuel system will be brand new except for the IP. Hopefully, the injectors will do the trick.

sandcobra164

John,
I had my pump gone through about 2 years ago for around $350 if I recall correctly. Local shop in Albany, Ga called R&S Diesel. The only other shop in my area that I found was Shiver Diesel Injection in Tifton, Ga that would touch it.

Joseph

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rally is over, now go vote for the best MV of the months before ...

Well golly gee whizzer!!!

...............................:deadhorse:

We need some heavy campaigning and voting to start today folks!! (Otherwise...I may start singing).

... both bear's get angry (used to be my nickname loooong time ago as well, when I still had a lot of hairs and a real beard)

RockHillWill

Just got unloaded from this most recent trip to the Georgia Rally. It was only the second year for both the wife and I, and this was the first time that we were able to attend the Georgia Rally with a military vehicle, our first outing was at Denton. I raced stock cars for 25 years and restored Model A's for National Judging for 16 years and thought that those groups were a friendly and helpful bunch, but those that attended and helped us at this (and the Denton show) have enamored both the wife and I to this group of friendly and helpful folks. Immediately as we parked our Humvee from the trip from Rock Hill, S.C., a power steering fluid hose broke. pouring fluid on the interior and all over my shoes. Within 5 minutes the hood was raised, problem identified and repairs begun by helpful gentlemen from several locations. A gentleman named Xavior did most of the work, but others associated with him help locate tools and parts. I had the needed additional fluid. During the event, I purchased some new 'rock sliders' that were of absolutely gorgeous quality, and expressing my concern as to how I might get them home in the Humvee, the seller offered to install them for me and would not take any compensation for his effort. I deeply apologize for not being able to assign names to familiar faces, but rest assured that I will not forget that I owe you!

I host an international metal shaping event each year, and am aware of the effort that it takes to put on an event like this. Again, I am not able to assign any names, but we are both appreciative of the event scheduling, sign in area, rest room facilities and the huge effort to provide the food and the tent in which we ate in. THANK YOU ALL! We will make an effort to more of a contributing factor in the years ahead.

Dock Rocker

Just got unloaded from this most recent trip to the Georgia Rally. It was only the second year for both the wife and I, and this was the first time that we were able to attend the Georgia Rally with a military vehicle, our first outing was at Denton. I raced stock cars for 25 years and restored Model A's for National Judging for 16 years and thought that those groups were a friendly and helpful bunch, but those that attended and helped us at this (and the Denton show) have enamored both the wife and I to this group of friendly and helpful folks. Immediately as we parked our Humvee from the trip from Rock Hill, S.C., a power steering fluid hose broke. pouring fluid on the interior and all over my shoes. Within 5 minutes the hood was raised, problem identified and repairs begun by helpful gentlemen from several locations. A gentleman named Xavior did most of the work, but others associated with him help locate tools and parts. I had the needed additional fluid. During the event, I purchased some new 'rock sliders' that were of absolutely gorgeous quality, and expressing my concern as to how I might get them home in the Humvee, the seller offered to install them for me and would not take any compensation for his effort. I deeply apologize for not being able to assign names to familiar faces.
The guy the rock sliders was Jeremy Johnson. He is a good guy for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks