• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2021 Georgia Military Vehicle Rally information thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey everybody. This is Clint.

Please accept my apologies for how long this has taken. Mac and I visited more than a dozen sites and due to the distances involved, every one of those was an all day affair. So both of us had to take an entire day off work, drive out there, look it over, and then if we thought it would work, go through all the negotiation with the management for what we needed, what they'd do for us, pricing, etc. I know many of you need more warning so you can schedule and I can't say anything other than "I'm sorry". Covid-19 blew my business up with work and it's literally been an exhausting 7 day grind for a year.

I / we will absolutely do better in 2022.

The following thread was written mostly by Gunnermac. He sent it to me, I transcribed and proofread it.

Here we go.

The Georgia Military Vehicle Rally will be held November 3rd-7th, 2021 at Bobby Brown State Park, located 18 miles East of Elberton Georgia 11 miles West of Calhoun Falls South Carolina.

Google maps link: Click here for directions

The address is 2509 Bobby Brown State Park Road, Elberton, GA 30635. The park is on a peninsula at the confluence of the Savannah and Broad rivers on Clark Hill lake. It's just 5 minutes to the Richard B Russell dam and access to the 26,500 acre Russell lake. Both lakes provide excellent fishing and boating

Park website with phone numbers and email information: http://www.bobbybrownpark.com/index.html

Accommodations
Bobby Brown park has 58 RV/camp spots that have 30/50 amp electrical service, water hook-ups, fire ring and table. There are dump stations located in all campgrounds. Each of the camp grounds (Savannah and Broad river sides) are equipped with excellent showers and toilet facilities

Yurt village
There are 5 yurts located on the waterfront of the Broad river. Each can accommodate 4 to 6 people dependent upon how friendly they are. The yards are equipped with full over full bunk beds, full sized futon, small table and 4 chairs. Heat and air, dorm fridge, microwave, outside picnic table and outside grill. No linens are provided, you must provide your own sheets.

Restrictions for the yurt village
No pets allowed in the yurt area, no smoking inside, any guests must be out of the park by 10:00 p.m., no cooking inside, use the microwave for warming food, the check-in time is 4pm to 9pm . If arriving after 5:00 p.m. call park for information.

Bobby Brown park will hold all of the yards until August 9th for the rally. After that any unrented yurts will be open to the public

Primitive camping
The primitive camping area is approximately 10 acres of woods. This is primitive, no established campsites. There is a central fire ring, an outhouse, a water source and a shelter. No fires are allowed at individual camps in the primitive area. Any fire must be in the central fire ring. Camping is on the honor system: The rally has paid for the primitive area, the suggested cost is $5 per night or whatever you feel is fair. There will be a locked Box at Gunnermac’s campsite, (number 30), where you can drop the money . Or you can give it to Clinto or Gunnermac

There are several motels in Elberton, approximately 18 to 20 miles West of the park

Food
There is no food service at the park except for snacks, et cetera. There is a small cafe at the corner of highway 72 and Bobby Brown Road. There is a restaurant, Clifford's, at the Beaver Dam Marina about 12 miles off Highway 72. The Savannah grill is located in Calhoun Falls, South Carolina about 12 miles East of highway 72. The Savannah grill is open for breakfast and lunch

Several grocery stores are located in Elberton as well as fast food and several other restaurants

Jim Papp's barbecue and Jack Land's chicken express food truck will be at the event Friday and Saturday. These were the service providers that were at the rally last year

Cost
RV and camping sites: Waterfront sites are $13 per night
Interior sites are $12 a night
50 amp sites will be an additional $2 if used
Yurts are $85 per night
Pioneer primitive camping the honor system $5 per night suggested
We have also rented 2 additional open air shelters, for use by the rally. Donations are appreciated

There is a $3 1-time fee for any vehicle used for transportation. This includes golf carts, side-by-side's, et cetera. The park would prefer no 4 wheelers but if that's all you've got and you do not speed over 5 miles per hour in the campground or 15 miles per hour elsewhere or ride off any of the roads I think that we will be OK.

Vehicles that are for display only are not charged

Background
When Durhamtown decided not to host the rally, Clinto and I started trying to locate an alternative site. We examined some 15 to 20 sites, there was only one that could provide everything the rally needed and it is booked solid and quite expensive in addition to being 300 miles from Athens, Georgia.

Bobby Brown park was the only site that provided most of what we were looking for. Apparently Covid-19 has caused outdoor recreation sites to be in great demand. As of now we do not have a trail ride location. There is nothing at the park. However, I am attempting to find a location near the park that can provide trails.

At this location as of this writing there are no sites booked by outside people. I would recommend that when this thread is posted reserve your site immediately and if we fill it up we will not have to deal with any other people. In any case we will not have to deal with dust, motorbikes, 4 wheelers and noise that was a part of Durhamtown. Or the grubby cabins and price gouging

The swap meet will be at the parking lot above the boat ramp follow the signs. We will not have the large area we had at Durhamtown however it is sufficient in addition to being paved. The park wants us to keep the boat ramp area free until Friday and Saturday. There will be signs and someone to direct you to the proper place due to the restricted space. 18 wheelers are not allowed in the swap meet area. If you are coming in an 18 Wheeler, please contact Gunnermac or Clinto and we will find a place that you can park and unload. I would suggest that you try not to bring large trailers. As an aside to this, I know that some folks come in large gooseneck campers and I know of one attendee that has a tractor trailer rv. There are several pull through campsites that will accommodate their rigs

Amenities
The park has a chapel, hiking trails, boat ramps, laundry capability, handicap accessible areas, playground, boat docks, fish cleaning station and a number of historical monuments and markers. There is also a swinging bridge that connects the 2 campgrounds

Bobby Brown park is operated by the Elbert county parks and recreation department. The staff lives on site and are available if you need assistance or information

Firearms, fireworks, flayers, flame throwers and anything of that nature is strictly prohibited

Quite time is 10:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m.

Camp fires must be in provided fire rings

Alcoholic beverages must remain in your camp site and pets must be leashed

All vehicles must display the Bobby Brown park parking pass. Display vehicles are excepted

As you might imagine this is a work in progress. Moving to a new location after 13 years that Durham town has presented some challenges. Further information will be provided as available

Questions and concerns should be addressed here on the rally thread.

I feel that as we work through this move, this will be a positive change. However this location is not written in stone after this year. We will continue to examine other locations if necessary.

Our goal is to continue the rally and make it the best event it can be. At this point, we’re not tethered to a location. If this works, great and if it doesn’t, then 2022 will be different.

Mac

Pictures will be in the next post

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What else. I've been working on this all day. My brain is pretty fried.

Laundry service
20210624_140705.jpg

One of the public showers. One person at a time and you can lock the door
20210624_140720.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon everyone!. The Yurt Buildings are not listed on the Bobby Brown reservations web site to keep them from being reserved by others outside of our group on those dates.

If you are interested in a Yurt which is like a mini hotel room please call the park reservations and reserve your Yurt NOW.

They have 4 left now so act quickly or forever be left out in the dark!!!

ps. Clint will be updating the dates in his original post to reflect Nov3-7th. Basically Wed-Sunday or standard rally dates.

RAT

Hey everybody. This is Clint.

Please accept my apologies for how long this has taken. Mac and I visited more than a dozen sites and due to the distances involved, every one of those was an all day affair. So both of us had to take an entire day off work, drive out there, look it over, and then if we thought it would work, go through all the negotiation with the management for what we needed, what they'd do for us, pricing, etc. I know many of you need more warning so you can schedule and I can't say anything other than "I'm sorry". Covid-19 blew my business up with work and it's literally been an exhausting 7 day grind for a year.

I / we will absolutely do better in 2022.

The following thread was written mostly by Gunnermac. He sent it to me, I transcribed and proofread it.

Here we go.

The Georgia Military Vehicle Rally will be held November 3rd-6th, 2021 at Bobby Brown State Park, located 18 miles East of Alberton Georgia 11 miles West of Calhoun Falls South Carolina.

Google maps link: Click here for directions

The address is 2509 Bobby Brown State Park Road, Elberton, GA 30635. The park is on a peninsula at the confluence of the Savannah and Broad rivers on Clark Hill lake. It's just 5 minutes to the Richard B Russell dam and access to the 26,500 acre Russell lake. Both lakes provide excellent fishing and boating

Park website with phone numbers and email information: http://www.bobbybrownpark.com/index.html

Accommodations
Bobby Brown park has 58 RV/camp spots that have 30/50 amp electrical service, water hook-ups, fire ring and table. There are dump stations located in all campgrounds. Each of the camp grounds (Savannah and Broad river sides) are equipped with excellent showers and toilet facilities

Yurt village
There are 5 yurts located on the waterfront of the Broad river. Each can accommodate 4 to 6 people dependent upon how friendly they are. The yards are equipped with full over full bunk beds, full sized futon, small table and 4 chairs. Heat and air, dorm fridge, microwave, outside picnic table and outside grill. No linens are provided, you must provide your own sheets.

Restrictions for the yurt village
No pets allowed in the yurt area, no smoking inside, any guests must be out of the park by 10:00 p.m., no cooking inside, use the microwave for warming food, the check-in time is 4pm to 9pm . If arriving after 5:00 p.m. call park for information.

Bobby Brown park will hold all of the yards until August 9th for the rally. After that any unrented yurts will be open to the public

Primitive camping
The primitive camping area is approximately 10 acres of woods. This is primitive, no established campsites. There is a central fire ring, an outhouse, a water source and a shelter. No fires are allowed at individual camps in the primitive area. Any fire must be in the central fire ring. Camping is on the honor system: The rally has paid for the primitive area, the suggested cost is $5 per night or whatever you feel is fair. There will be a locked Box at Gunnermac’s campsite, (number 30), where you can drop the money . Or you can give it to Clinto or Gunnermac

There are several motels in Elberton, approximately 18 to 20 miles West of the park

Food
There is no food service at the park except for snacks, et cetera. There is a small cafe at the corner of highway 72 and Bobby Brown Road. There is a restaurant, Clifford's, at the Beaver Dam Marina about 12 miles off Highway 72. The Savannah grill is located in Calhoun Falls, South Carolina about 12 miles East of highway 72. The Savannah grill is open for breakfast and lunch

Several grocery stores are located in Elberton as well as fast food and several other restaurants

Jim Papp's barbecue and Jack Land's chicken express food truck will be at the event Friday and Saturday. These were the service providers that were at the rally last year

Cost
RV and camping sites: Waterfront sites are $13 per night
Interior sites are $12 a night
50 amp sites will be an additional $2 if used
Yurts are $85 per night
Pioneer primitive camping the honor system $5 per night suggested
We have also rented 2 additional open air shelters, for use by the rally. Donations are appreciated

There is a $3 1-time fee for any vehicle used for transportation. This includes golf carts, side-by-side's, et cetera. The park would prefer no 4 wheelers but if that's all you've got and you do not speed over 5 miles per hour in the campground or 15 miles per hour elsewhere or ride off any of the roads I think that we will be OK.

Vehicles that are for display only are not charged

Background
When Durhamtown decided not to host the rally, Clinto and I started trying to locate an alternative site. We examined some 15 to 20 sites, there was only one that could provide everything the rally needed and it is booked solid and quite expensive in addition to being 300 miles from Athens, Georgia.

Bobby Brown park was the only site that provided most of what we were looking for. Apparently Covid-19 has caused outdoor recreation sites to be in great demand. As of now we do not have a trail ride location. There is nothing at the park. However, I am attempting to find a location near the park that can provide trails.

At this location as of this writing there are no sites booked by outside people. I would recommend that when this thread is posted reserve your site immediately and if we fill it up we will not have to deal with any other people. In any case we will not have to deal with dust, motorbikes, 4 wheelers and noise that was a part of Durhamtown. Or the grubby cabins and price gouging

The swap meet will be at the parking lot above the boat ramp follow the signs. We will not have the large area we had at Durhamtown however it is sufficient in addition to being paved. The park wants us to keep the boat ramp area free until Friday and Saturday. There will be signs and someone to direct you to the proper place due to the restricted space. 18 wheelers are not allowed in the swap meet area. If you are coming in an 18 Wheeler, please contact Gunnermac or Clinto and we will find a place that you can park and unload. I would suggest that you try not to bring large trailers. As an aside to this, I know that some folks come in large gooseneck campers and I know of one attendee that has a tractor trailer rv. There are several pull through campsites that will accommodate their rigs

Amenities
The park has a chapel, hiking trails, boat ramps, laundry capability, handicap accessible areas, playground, boat docks, fish cleaning station and a number of historical monuments and markers. There is also a swinging bridge that connects the 2 campgrounds

Bobby Brown park is operated by the Elbert county parks and recreation department. The staff lives on site and are available if you need assistance or information

Firearms, fireworks, flayers, flame throwers and anything of that nature is strictly prohibited

Quite time is 10:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m.

Camp fires must be in provided fire rings

Alcoholic beverages must remain in your camp site and pets must be leashed

All vehicles must display the Bobby Brown park parking pass. Display vehicles are excepted

As you might imagine this is a work in progress. Moving to a new location after 13 years that Durham town has presented some challenges. Further information will be provided as available

Questions and concerns should be addressed here on the rally thread.

I feel that as we work through this move, this will be a positive change. However this location is not written in stone after this year. We will continue to examine other locations if necessary.

Our goal is to continue the rally and make it the best event it can be. At this point, we’re not tethered to a location. If this works, great and if it doesn’t, then 2022 will be different.

Mac

Pictures will be in the next post
OK, here we go?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any type of map or sketch that shows the proximity of events relative to camping areas? Would like to reserve something soon. Might have to speed over to Elbert County to have a looksee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks