• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official DENTON NC 2023 April 21-23

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well crud, I will be involved with reintering 12 Revolutionary War soldiers in the Camden, SC battlefield cemetery that week and weekend. Hate I'm going to miss it again, its always an awesome time.

I also wanted to pass this on from the farmpark Facebook page-

PS- the #9 was built for the Navy and served into the mid 1950's.

Choo-Choo!!
Howdy y’all, the Handy Dandy RailRoad has some exciting Information!

During the Military event on April 22 and 23rd we are allowing adults to Drive the train!
Denton FarmParks At the Throttle Experience

Take the reins of the “Iron Horse”! “At the Throttle” is coming to the Handy Dandy Railroad. The program is a unique opportunity for railfans to live their dream of running a diesel locomotive.
No previous locomotive experience is required. A qualified engineer will be in the cab at all time. Participants will enjoy going around the park operating the engine (including safety orientation). This experience will be $225.00 for 30 minutes as an engineer and the proceeds goes to the repair of our 1942 50 Ton Class BSI Porter Steam Locomotive – AKA #9.

For this session
You will first spend 15-20 minutes observing and learning how to operate one of our diesel locomotives and review the safety procedures from our engineer. You will then spend 30 minutes at the throttle of the locomotive on the Handy Dandy railway, under the supervision of your engineer.

Additional family members and friends may ride in the caboose for $10 per person.
-Participants wishing to have their picture made should bring a camera. Friends or family or a member of the crew can take a photo of each “At the Throttle” participant and will be given a free railroad hat to remember the experience!
Participants must be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license. Clothing appropriate to a working rail yard should be worn.
· Gloves (optional)
· long pants
· long sleeve shirts
· closed toe shoes (are required)

You will also need to be physically able to climb up to and enter the locomotive cab, and able to operate the locomotive controls. Please arrive at the Depot, 15 minutes prior your time slot. Safety glasses and ear protection are recommended. Release forms are required. Please bring cash for payment. Please print and bring the release form with you.

Recap: For $225 you get to
· Operate a train for 30 minutes around the park.
· Get a free Railroad hat.
· Take pictures.
· Free admission to the event for the rest of the day.

NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES. EVENT OPERATES RAIN OR SHINE.

Follow our Railroad page :
For the release forms go to : https://dentonfarmpark.com/handy-dandy-railroad/
or email dentonfarmparkoffice@gmail.com

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

CGarbee

I find cooking for a group to be a nice, relaxing, break from my day job...
My current plan is to arrive on Wednesday (I assume that I can access the site that afternoon as in years past) with the MKT and to have a meal offering for each meal Wednesday supper through Sunday breakfast.

I’m trying new format for the menu post this year, if this is confusing, let me know and I will list each day’s meals in order...

Wednesday supper:
Pasta
Chili Mac and cheese
Salad

Thursday supper:
Chicken fajitas
Pork fajitas
Onion mushroom peppers cabbage

Friday supper (if requested, folks are encouraged to go on the BBQ Convoy):
Grilled pork loin or Burgundy pork
Rice
Green beans
Roasted tomato

Saturday supper:
Shrimp boil

Lunches:
Brats or Italian Sausage (with peppers and onions), Thursday
Cheeseburger, Friday
Hotdogs, Saturday
Chips, every lunch
Salad, every lunch

Breakfasts:
Eggs, scrambled every day, other options just ask…
Pancakes on Sunday
Bacon, alternate days
Tenderloin, alternate days
Sausage, alternate days
Grits, alternate days
Oatmeal, alternate days
Fruit canned
An assortment of breads each day such as:

Biscuits
English muffins
tortillas

Coffee, every day
Lemonade and Tea, every day, all day

Dietary substitutions can be made (just talk to me in advance)

I’m thinking that if you sign up in advance (at least a week ahead of time) that we’ll go with $7/Meal although we may have to say $9 for Saturday night...)
Wait until you arrive and the prices may be higher and/or I may not have chow for you…
Get enough folks to sign up, and I may toss some additional items on the menu…

Best way to sign up and know that you are on the list is to PM me and to receive at REPLY. ;)

RJTM998

My current plan is to arrive on Wednesday (I assume that I can access the site that afternoon as in years past) with the MKT and to have a meal offering for each meal Wednesday supper through Sunday breakfast.

I’m trying new format for the menu post this year, if this is confusing, let me know and I will list each day’s meals in order...

Wednesday supper:
Pasta
Chili Mac and cheese
Salad

Thursday supper:
Chicken fajitas
Pork fajitas

Rice
Green beans
Roasted tomato

Saturday supper:
Shrimp boil

Lunches:
Cheeseburger, Friday
Hotdogs, Saturday
Chips, every lunch
Salad, every lunch

Breakfasts:
Pancakes on Sunday
Bacon, alternate days
Sausage, alternate days
Grits, alternate days
Oatmeal, alternate days
Fruit canned

Biscuits
English muffins
tortillas

Coffee, every day

I’m thinking that if you sign up in advance (at least a week ahead of time) that we’ll go with $7/Meal although we may have to say $9 for Saturday night...)
Wait until you arrive and the prices may be higher and/or I may not have chow for you…

Best way to sign up and know that you are on the list is to PM me and to receive at REPLY. ;)
Looking forward to some great chow. Thanks 👍

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Wednesday supper:
Pasta
Chili Mac and cheese
Salad

Thursday supper:
Chicken fajitas
Pork fajitas

Rice
Green beans
Roasted tomato

Saturday supper:
Shrimp boil

Lunches:
Cheeseburger, Friday
Hotdogs, Saturday
Chips, every lunch
Salad, every lunch

Breakfasts:
Pancakes on Sunday
Bacon, alternate days
Sausage, alternate days
Grits, alternate days
Oatmeal, alternate days
Fruit canned

Biscuits
English muffins
tortillas

Coffee, every day

I'm scheduled to be with Adam at Camden for the re-internment ceremony, along with my MKT's, cooking for a select group of re-enactors who will be doing the caisson carry of the coffins to their final resting place. I'll be supported by Adam and the rest of the local MV club.

CGarbee

I'm scheduled to be with Adam at Camden for the re-internment ceremony, along with my MKT's, cooking for a select group of re-enactors who will be doing the caisson carry of the coffins to their final resting place. I'll be supported by Adam and the rest of the local MV club.
Great to hear that you are all participating in this....
Hate to hear that we will miss seeing you.
I'm looking forward to hearing a full report of your activities this fall at Graves...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to hear that you are all participating in this....
Hate to hear that we will miss seeing you.
I'm looking forward to hearing a full report of your activities this fall at Graves...
If the organizers are to be believed, there should be a National Geographic video of the event. I've been told the Old Guard is sending a band detachment. The whole thing is somewhat convoluted. The County Coroner has the remains now, in coffins. They will be transported via MVCSC HMMWV's from there to a Camden church on Friday where they will lie in state overnight. Then the HMMWV's will transport them to the Cornwallis House where the will be transferred to the caissons for the 'last mile' to the burial site. That's the short version. I'll be busy at the MKT the whole time. On Saturday morning I'm expected to have breakfast ready for the caisson teams at 4 am through 4:15 when they have to form up. Everybody I'm feeding will eat at 7 am. Not looking forward to that meal. A side note, 12 of the bodies were identified as Colonial troops, one loyalist, and one British Fusilier (by regimental insignia). I think the Brit will have some official people on site, don't know who will mourn the Loyalist.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Planning to attend for the first time. Where could I get more info on the helicopter rides. Is it first come or can I pre-book?
Looking forward to seeing you there. The helicopter rides are weather permitting. Almost sure there isn't any sort of pre-booking. On the other hand, if you happen to encounter the pilots, there might be a way to arrange a special flight.

Link below is for the show in case you haven't seen it @ the Denton Farm Park

CGarbee

Just a reminder that it would be really helpful to know who wants to eat at the MKT before Monday... I will be making my grocery run on Tuesday and need to know how much food to get...
Email, PM, or post here if you want to be on the list...

Thanks,
Cabell

RJTM998

Just a reminder that it would be really helpful to know who wants to eat at the MKT before Monday... I will be making my grocery run on Tuesday and need to know how much food to get...
Email, PM, or post here if you want to be on the list...

Thanks,
Cabell
I will be eating a few meals for sure.

CGarbee

Had a PM from a friend who is planning on coming over for the weekend who wanted to know if the Farm Park has golf cart rentals or if there was going to be anyone with a Mule who could give them a ride around when they arrive since they find walking to be a challenge....

matt444

Had a PM from a friend who is planning on coming over for the weekend who wanted to know if the Farm Park has golf cart rentals or if there was going to be anyone with a Mule who could give them a ride around when they arrive since they find walking to be a challenge....
Yes, they usually have golf carts, normally starting Friday afternoon

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

CGarbee

I know that some of you are arriving today. How about posting a few pics? I will be coming in tomorrow.
Here you go.... Didn't get a photo of Matt's M35 or Blake's M151 or the M37 that arrived late... Tomorrow :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks