• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Offroad Lights

IHASFIP

I searched for some ideas and couldn't find anything. I am wanting to add some offroad style lights. I will be using this as an offroad rig/ recovery rig. I have been thinking of places to put the lights and can't get any ideas. I need some places that they won't get knocked off easily. I know I am going to put two lights in the rear for back up/ recovery lights. Also would light 1 or 2 under each side of the bed for the same. Those will be easy to mount. Its in the front that I am having problems brainstorming. Please help me. Pics would be great. I like the whole Bert Gummer Tremors II idea of the light bar on the roof, but I think they would get knocked off easily.

Here are some pics of the truck that will need recovery often. :) 86 Chevrolet 3/4 ton. Dana 60 front, 14 bolt full floater rear. 5.13 gears, detroit lockers, hydro assist, rear disc brakes, built 12 valve P pump cummins, built 518 tranny, 205 t-case, H1 beadlocks, 44 Super Swamper TSLs ( now 44" boggers), HMMWV Mile Marker Hydro Winch, custom built bumpers, etc, etc. Now has rockwells under it and rear steer.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Armored vehicle lights are awesome. Only problemis I don't have anymore available at this time. You can get them in white or infra red.

IHASFIP

Hmm...where do you get those? What do they look like? I am thinking of just using some cheapo 10$ 24 volt tractor lights. The stock generator/alternator should be able to handle some lights easily right? Being the truck has little to no electronics on it?

D

KI4GSN

Is there any way you could recess them into the front bumper? I think it would look cool, and they'd be pretty well protected. If you find a good location, look into Hella 500 series lights. They're cheap for what they are, and are BRIGHT!

IHASFIP

Like cut a circular hole in the bumper and then weld a tab on the back to bolt it to? I thought about that, but I was afraid that would weaken the structural integrity of an already weak area of the bumper. I was thinking about on the windshield frames like they do on jeeps. I could easily make that out of some angle iron. I don't plan on ever laying the windshield down so it won't interfere. What do you think?

D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
-A3 bumpers already have a hole. Also check out the "Diablo Build" thread for an install using ACLs right in the headlight doors.

pevrs114

What about recessing some hellas or some other flat lights behind the grille? You could even trim the bars of the grille, or reshape them to fit. Exactly like the headlights, but just more of them.

Oh, I thought I'd add - seeing your trail rig, I'm sure you've seen 'Rock Lights' before, I think they would be incredibly handy on a deuce, especially one that's going to be operating off-road at night. Some tractor lights tucked up inside the fenders or on the frame somewhere, illuminating where the front and rear axles will be traveling would make it much easier to spot your tires at night.

Last edited:

rottiedog

I bought some 24 volt lights at the John Deere Dealer. Mounted in back but haven't wired up yet. I am planning on splicing into the blackout lights for juice so I don't have to add another switch, just flip on BO for backing up.

IHASFIP

-A3 bumpers already have a hole. Also check out the "Diablo Build" thread for an install using ACLs right in the headlight doors.
I did not know that about the A3 bumper. I did read all 50 pages of the Diablo build. Amazing. Those lights looked expensive and very appropriate for his build. I didn't really want to ditch the black out "head light" but I guess it may be an option. I could mount two lights on the grille under the headlights. Hm...Or I could just leave the light behind it.

D

Tibby

If you are concerned about getting a light damaged as a result of its location, you might try a Golight, which I have seen at www.gemplers.com. A 400K candlepower work light with 370 degrees of rotaion and 120 degrees of tilt. You can get a remote control and an optional magnetic base, so you could mount it as your situation dictates. You would need a 24/12 volt converter. It comes with a 15 foot power cord, so you have some flexibility. If you had a 12 volt outlet on each side of the truck, you could mount the light pretty much anywhere. Just a thought . . .

IHASFIP

Yea, I have seen those before. I might check into something like that, but it is probably out of my price range.

D

tm america

how about mounting them to the inside of the turn signal lights that are there already and cut holes into the bed rail on the angled part and weld a peice of steel to the underside of bed to bolt em to

IHASFIP

how about mounting them to the inside of the turn signal lights that are there already and cut holes into the bed rail on the angled part and weld a peice of steel to the underside of bed to bolt em to
Like inboard of the turnsignal lights on the fender? Or inside the turnsignals bolted to the turnsignal guards? I think I got the rear figured out. Just need the front now. I also have to find the lights. Been browsing google and found some cheapos for around 20 bucks a pop. I don't know if they are any good...Maybe I should buy a converter and just get 12 volt lights. That would give me a lot more options on light choices. Would a 25 amp converter be enough to run 6-8 lights?

D

DMgunn

I am not a Jeeper, but those lights the Jeep guys mount on each side of the windshield have grown on me lately - the Deuce has a similar windshield.......

The location is less than ideal, but it does have a few advantages:

- high location will illuminate deep holes with less shadows
- not likely to get damaged from rock chips or wildlife
- could mount LH one slightly less rigid - you could reach out and aim it from inside the cab
- will not get covered with mud

Two lights there, and two in the bumper should give you real good coverage.

gunboy1656

just my 2 cents if your going to do all the work to recess lights ina bumper, why not fabricate something using the m211 bumper, already has 6 holes in it. Now that could be interesting to see.

Scott

IHASFIP

Well around here I don't have access to any other vehicles, so I am on my own to fabbing stuff. I do think I am going to try and build something for the windshield frame. My windshield already has some irrepairable cancer so I don't feel bad putting some screws in it. Hell there may be some bolts on the frame I could anchor them to. I haven't paid too much attention, will have to look tomorrow when I get to the shop. I did rhino line the inside of the cab tonight. :) Oughta look good after it dries.

D