• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Crud! Will a MEP-002A fit in the bed of a pickup?

mistaken1

I think I won a MEP-002A. I sure hope it runs and actually produces power ......

Anyway I gather it will fit in the bed of a pickup but was hoping someone more knowledgeable could confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Isaac-1

Just watch out for those GL fork lift drivers, some of them have a hard time loading equipment onto an open sided trailer, much less the bed of a pick up truck. If it were me and I did not have a trailer, I would rent an 4x7 or 5x8 uhaul open utility trailer, they only run $15 - 20 per day, which is cheap insurance to keep questionable fork lift drivers away from a truck bed.

Ike

Carl_in_NH

I carried an MEP-003A in the bed of a rental pick-up - so it's no issue what-so-ever for the smaller 002A. Speddmon is right - likely two of 'em would fit.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mistaken1....looks like you got an almost new engine on that set. I hope it is and that you have a good runner. Keep us posted.

KsM715

I was watching the genset. I just cant justifty another big ticket item to the wife till I get some stuff sold off.

EnteJager

Throw a sheet of plywood in the bed, if they load with a forklift and push front heavy it'll crease the bed. don't ask how I know this.
I move mep-003's and 2's all the time not an issue for an f-250.

Last edited:

mistaken1

I hope it is a new engine and not just new paint!

BBoomerBootCamp, I like that idea. I have grade 70 chain somewhere that should suffice long enough to lift it onto a truck or trailer. I might even have a lifting strap of the proper rating.

Isaac-1

In partial defense of the GL fork lift drivers, loading heavy items into the back of a pickup truck with a forklift is not the easiest of things to do, since the trucks suspension is so soft it is hard to tell when it is down all the way vs. pressing down on the the truck with the fork lift. Also from what I have seen GL seems to get hand me down fork llifts often with leaking hydraulics, weak pumps, and poor brakes. Inching a load onto a pickup truck bed with a fork lift with bad brakes is a challenge, take it from someone that has done it more than once, as even a gentle rolling tap of a fork lift into a lowered tailgate will cause noticeable damage.

Ike

p.s. having said this there is no excuse for dropping items that I have seen on multiple pickups, one included a 2,200 pound diesel powered compressor that they up ended and almost flipped over on my trailer. (they picked it up by the light end not the CG, I even pointed out they were doing it wrong as they did it)

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I must be unique. I have recovered 7 Mep-003A.s from GL and have never had a problem with their drivers loading these units. In fact they are better drivers than the F/L drivers where I work.

Isaac-1

It may be the locations you are going to, I have only picked up at 2 locations, and only about a dozen items heavy enough to need a fork lift, ranging from about 350 - 5,500 pounds. Of these pickups I have experienced:

The above mentioned, up ending of a diesel powered compressor

Only other pickup at that same location almost a year later had the same fork lift driver (he had improved), but still had enough trouble loading a 30KW skid mounted generator onto a trailer that I was tempted to say move over and let me do it, as it took him about 3 minutes to do something that should take 15-20 seconds.

I picked up a 300 pound large computer color laser printer, fork lift driver did a good careful job, had me move the truck to a level spot and warned me the brakes did not work on the lift.

125kw generator pick up took 3 GL people and 2 forklifts nearly half an hour to manage to load it onto a flatbed trailer.

Most recently had a pick up on a cold (well cold for the south) January morning, took the GL people half an hour to get one of their big diesel fork lifts to start, and then it did not want to build up enough hydraulic pressure to lift the 4,200 pound piece of equipment onto the trailer for another half hour or longer (this was at least a 20,000 pound rated fork lift, probably much more)

there were probably other lesser examples that don't come to mind at the moment, overall it seems a mix of poor equipment condition and poor operator training.

Ike

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run a chain through the lift eye and have them pick it up by the chain and lower it into your bed.
Good luck
Using a chain through the lift is absolutely the way to go. There is minimal chance of damage to the genset and truck or trailer. And don't forget to tie it down securely. That's a lot of weight if it gets loose.

jas67

Just something to keep in mind, is that at over 1,000 lbs, it might be easier to get off a trailer due to the lower height as compared to the back of a pickup truck, esp. a 4WD one that likely sits even higher.

Do you have an tractor with a front end loader, a forklift, or an engine hoist at home to unloader it? If so will it lift high enough? Many small compact tractors (like Kubota BX and similar-sized subcompacts can only lift about 600 lbs with their front loaders).

Maybe, it is best to purchase a trailer to permanently mount it to, and take that with you. That way, you just bolt it on, and keep it portable.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks