• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Dear Lord! I just bought a 5 ton from Ft Rucker in AL. Now what?

aspann

After Moretoys couldn't pick up his new toy, I was over at Ft. Rucker and met the man from GLS. After discussing with him he suggested I contact Moretoys and to make a long story short, I have his truck in my barn awaiting his pickup. However after arriving home, about a 40 mile trip, found the rear driver side wheel leaking. I checked the TM and it appears to be a fairly simple fix. Appears to be leaking around the axle shaft flange. Anyone had this problem? Also the ABS doesn't work and the CTIS doesn't either. All lights flash. I haven't checked yet but it is probably disconnected. Any suggestions would help. I'm no mechanic by any means. Thanks in advance.

jedawson1

I recently did my front passenger side axel seal. Memphis Equipment company has the seals you needs I can't remember what I paid but its wasn't much maybe $25. If the leak is slow Moretoys can get away with driving it home by monitoring the leak. He's probably better off without the CTIS anyway. There is a thread or two on here about ABS not working should be able to find in search. I believe the fix was a module that can get fried if you turn the batterie switch off before the motor switch. I don't know if that applies to the A2 trucks.

These are small problems, Sounds like he's got a good truck.

aspann

Thanks jedawson1. In the tm it says you can do away with the gasket and use sealant, this was on a rear axel, might be different from the front. I'l do some more checking. Thanks again.

jedawson1

I used both seal and sealant.

If you use just sealant, please let me know by posting your thoughts. I would consider that on the back axels if it proves a success. The parts are so heavy so I do not want to have to do it again anytime soon and would consider just sealant if proves it will hold up over time.

aspann

I'm assuming it will last in the long run being the TM recomended it. I'm going to wait until I hear from Moretoys before I do anything. I'll let him make the call. If it were mine I would just use the sealant. Thanks again for your information.

moretoys

Hey Guys, i've GOT to brag on Andy (aspann) for stepping up and making my first recovery so much simpler and easier. Andy drove out and checked over my truck last week, and yesterday he actually picked it up from Ft. Rucker for me, and stashed it safely at his farm. And if that's not enough, he emailed a few minutes ago that he has already made several of the repairs that were needed before I drive back to Nashville. I've been pretty amazed at the level of help and support that has flowed from this forum to a guy who is just getting his feet wet. I really feel like I'll have a dozen experienced guys in the passenger seat when I start back to Nashville on Wednesday. Many thanks all around.
GP

aspann

Yeah jasson, 60-63 mph if you have ABS. 40 mph if you don't have ABS and you're not an experienced driver.

Last edited:

jasonn

Thanks for speed updates - aspann I noticed you pointed out I'm not an experienced driver ? Is there an experienced driver switch in the cab? Where is it located? I have to drive the truck for 16 hrs I would think some where along the way I can hit the switch because I will have gained experience.lol just kidding with you. I've drove a lot of the a1's and know they don't go very fast. But had read that the a2's did highway speeds. Was just looking for someone to verify
thanks
jason

aspann

Doggone it jason, you caught it before I edited it. After I posted that, I realized I shouldn't have said that and edited it. My apologies. I've been looking for that switch for a long time. Anyway, be careful.

moretoys

It is ON! The m923a2 is in the Days Inn Parking lot outside Ft Rucker, and in the Morning we head north to Nashville. Aspann has been a guardian angel to us, and there's very little left to do before heading out. We have some leaks around one of the hub seals that we plan to address with some hi temp silicone, and there's a vibration that starts at about 50mph we need to isolate, but otherwise, we're go for launch....
m923a2 and Andy_S.jpgG and A .jpgUrban Camo.jpgG and D.jpg

agazza2

Have a safe trip back. whenever you stop, check each of the outer axle hubs, after getting out of the truck. They should all be around the same temperature. You will have a fun day ahead of you, with all the looks from people passing by and the excitement of driving something so fun. My super singles have a vibration around 58-60, but occasionally smooth out for a awhile. Be sure to turn on the light switch, as you will not have any brake lamps unless this is on. Have fun, and we look forward to photos and information about your trip home :)

Scarecrow1

Good luck to you and Gods speed to your safe return home . The truck looks great by the way. You know with the pic of you standing in front of it made me smile at how big they really are compared to our cars and trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks