• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh i did it now!! Wifes gonna hate me for real this time!!!

Patruck

OK folks i did it! I traded my JEEP for a 66 M35A2 Deuce & 1/2 needs some love but runs GREAT drove it from Birmingham AL. to Athens GA. bout shook me to death but was overall a great ride! A 4door conversion is in the immediate future! have a coule donnor cabs ligned up but could use all the advice you can give me! so i am begging to all those who can Please ring in as you see fit!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Such a shame it doesn't have the cargo cover with it. You could sleep in there instead of the doghouse!

Scarecrow1

Boy you guys were reading my mind. I thought he may need to concentrate on a box for the bed to live in while he is working on it and his divorce ........ :)

Patruck

Really i got kinda lucky with this whole thing! wifes not mad YET!!! shie likes it! Atleast she likes the truck i am selling her, now all i got to do is make it a four door!
i have another truck with a bad motor that i am gonna use as the base and take the cab off this truck to do it. Some pointers as to where to make the cuts and how to get around the rear cab mount would be great.
Also goint to start a 80/20 mix WMO/diesel regime the next tank i put through it, any suggestions on that idea would be great.
Got a friend with a set of 14singles gonna trade my new tires for, will take lots of pictures during this process

Reckless

Glad to see another local around here. Just curious why you would build the crew cab on the non running truck platform?

I'm in the middle of my crew cab project now, and all I have to say it make sure you budget your money because its adds up QUICK! You might as well invest stock in the cutting wheel company because you will go through a TON of them! Lol! As for measurements, there are no exact measurements because everyone does things differently. Just make sure you measure 4 times and cut once!!!

I wouldn't recommend doing the project unless you have sufficient welding skills or know someone who is willing to lend their expertise in that area.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And plan on a power steering conversion once you install any of the Super Single radials as you mentioned...with 395s or larger, the Deuce becomes almost impossible to steer at slow/no speeds.

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

taylordc15

Patruck, I live in Snellville and have a quad cab if you want to look at one, need to take measurements ect. Unfortunately I am in Afghanistan and won't be home until May.

Patruck

Ok so many voices!
One at a time!
1st the non running truck is in so much better shape the the one it the photo! It's only problem is GO plant! Engine ran away from a friend of mine and blew out. The motor in my truck is in the most excellent condition I have seen one yet!
I am gonna pull my motor and transplant into good chassis. Then I am gonna take my whinch, air tanks, and other various accessories. Sell my axels and frame to off set some of the cost for the EX Cab!. Bed is already spoken for!

Second:
i am in the Diesel program at Athens Tech and have the auto body students falling over each other to help put it together, and they (and I) have access to a plasma cutter. No more cut off wheels!!!yay!

third:
power steering is something I am looking into! Any suggestions on that would be great as funds are somewhat limited! A $3500 kit is not where I want to be!

Finally:
I would love to come take a look at where it should go! Hope to have started before you make it back state side!
and thank you!

is there a local N.GA group of MV owners. Recently a great friend and I just picked up our MVs. We are looking for people of same mind set to ride with and envoke fears of govt invasion of what ever small town we ride through! We currently organize a Jeep group in Jefferson and would love to find another group to join!

If there isn't one there needs to be one!

3dAngus

OK folks i did it! I traded my JEEP for a 66 M35A2 Deuce & 1/2 needs some love but runs GREAT drove it from Birmingham AL. to Athens GA. bout shook me to death but was overall a great ride! A 4door conversion is in the immediate future! have a coule donnor cabs ligned up but could use all the advice you can give me! so i am begging to all those who can Please ring in as you see fit!
I'm curious as to why a M35A2 would "shake you to death". I would want to investigate and fix that before dumping a bunch of money in it for a quad cab.

An A3 can be kinda rough, but I have never had any issues with any of my A2's. And my 395s make the steering easier, rather than harder, but I do admit, when in the mid 30s (mph) I do get some sway and keeping the rpms on the high side seems to help. Not much of an issue at 45mph and above though.

See if you can fix all those leaks at low cost first and hopefully, that pegged out temp gauge just means a bad gauge. Finally, if the fuel gauge works, you never want to let a M35A2 get low on fuel. All kinds of bad things can happen with low fuel in one of these old trucks.

Good luck with it. Athens diesel is the place to be. You could make some serious money to pay for your hobby with those kinds of contacts and help. Get er done.:-D

Last edited:

gabby4244

Great looking truck,good luck with that and the wife !! Besides it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :cookoo::jumpin::cookoo::jumpin::cookoo:

Last edited:

Patruck

The shaking comes from the odd mismatch of tire age, tread depth and one extremely dry rot and oblong tire!
I have fixed that with a set of 14.00-20 singles I just picked up.
The only leaks it has right now is radiator cap seal is worn and not holding pressure, and a bad wheel cylinder on the rear axel which has been capped off!
The other truck will be the main platform that I launch the quad cab off of!
2 50gallon tanks, 4 air tanks, power steering, whincher, so this truck is just a stepping stone!
the other truck is in great physical shape but again NO motor(blown)
Low fuel is not gonna be a problem after this tank! I have about 250 gallons of WMO/WTF every couple of weeks so I am going to change all filters fluids and start a 75/25 WMO/gas or diesel diet!
also going to clean out tank and flush all lines.
how do I make sure the FDC is still operational or hooked up?

Athens Tech is one awesome school I am finishing my Auto diploma and starting the diesel program in May then I am going to take the auto body program when the diesel prog. Ends.
then it's off to the races for a great paying enjoyable JOB!

Oh yea I have 3 Rockwell's I don't want to scrap so if you know anyone who needs them please tell them I am dropping mine out to cover some of the build!

Please keep the suggestions coming!