• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh joy. Problems - Power steering pump and more!

ragedracer

Went to put new belts on yesterday, since I was starting to get a little squeal. Found out that I have some broken bolts on the PS bracket. Arrows at #6 in the image below point to the broken studs. It looks like if I pull all the brackets, I'll be able to get vise grips on them. If not, what can I use to get them out? Anyone know what size the studs are, if I destroy them getting them out?

Next question. I've noticed a slight vibration/rubbing noise when I put the transmission in gear. It's shifting just fine, but if I have my foot on the brake and shift into reverse or any forward gear, I hear a sound coming from under the truck. What should I be looking at?

Attachments

4bogginchevys

shot in the dark

Went to put new belts on yesterday, since I was starting to get a little squeal. Found out that I have some broken bolts on the PS bracket. Arrows at #6 in the image below point to the broken studs. It looks like if I pull all the brackets, I'll be able to get vise grips on them. If not, what can I use to get them out? Anyone know what size the studs are, if I destroy them getting them out?

Next question. I've noticed a slight vibration/rubbing noise when I put the transmission in gear. It's shifting just fine, but if I have my foot on the brake and shift into reverse or any forward gear, I hear a sound coming from under the truck. What should I be looking at?
bolts should be 3/8, if vise grips dont work than you'll have to drill it out...bummer

if you look under the truck i'm confident the issue will stand out, or do what I do when I cant find the problem....wait till' something breaks!

ragedracer

Well, being Mr. Industrious, and bored, I decided to go give it a look.

Good news! Bolts came out no problem at all. Disconnected the batteries, pulled the drivers side alternator and all brackets. Removed PS pump. Found out that GM must have thought about these studs snapping off, as they have a nut as part of the stud! Now I just have to find new studs.

Here's some photos of them. The long one goes through the water pump. The one that's not broken was starting to look pretty sorry - it's part of the alternator brackets. I think due to the extra strain of all the other studs being broken was transferring to it. I figured I'd better replace it as well. If I had new studs already, this would have literally been a 30 minute job. EASY!

Attachments

4bogginchevys

the only things I can really think of are u-joints, loose tranfer case crossmember/bushings, e-brake cables flopping around/rubbing exhaust pipe...maybe even loose caps/u-bolts on driveline/ broken leaf spring/broken exhaust pipe hanger...this ones got me curious, i'd like to know

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks