• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh, no - Army Bob is letting us down?

The Gimlis

Had a blast at Tower Park (thanks for another great event!) but when we got home, ol Army Bob had gained a considerable amount of oil. **sigh**

The FDC was militarily (is that a word?) bypassed. Bummer. ** another sigh **

After reading all possible threads and checking out all that can be checked, it appears the IP is toast. Rebuilds from all the vendors we contacted are $1000 plus. **GROAN!! **

Mr. Gimli, being the fabricator/tinkerer he is, said "why can't I rebuild my own"?

Hence, these questions: Can a guy with pretty darn good mechanic skills rebuild one or do you need special tools? Where can one get the o-rings and such needed for a rebuild? Is the TM the best placs to find out about setting timing marks correctly?

Thanks everyone!

The Gimlis

Thanks, guys! We are yakking with a couple people about IPs now.

still curious, tho - is there rebuild KITS for the do-it-myself people?

Westech

CPL
you can get a gasket set from EBarf or Saturnsurplus..... THe thing is that its the Injection head that takes a dump and you are not able to rebuild it your self... you can get China ones for 100-400 bucks.

rlwm211

I have been told that if you have a couple of spares a Shop might be able to rebuild one IP from the collection of parts, but this is laboring under the assumption that one of the broken spares has a good part that you need.

My suggestion is to spend the money for a rebuilt or new replacement and then take very good care of it.

RL

JDToumanian

If the engine is still running good, the IP is not "toast".... There are just a few o-rings that can go bad and leak fuel into the oil (besides the bypassed FDC), and it's really pretty easy to replace them and it only costs a few bucks. Only the injector lines, hydraulic head, and a few pieces around it need to be removed, the IP can stay in the truck. The o-rings can be found at local hardware stores or ordered from somewhere like McMaster-Carr or MV suppliers like White Owl or Memphis Equipment.

I assume the info you're getting by PM is telling you this?

Jon

area52

If the engine is still running good, the IP is not "toast".... There are just a few o-rings that can go bad and leak fuel into the oil (besides the bypassed FDC), and it's really pretty easy to replace them and it only costs a few bucks. Only the injector lines, hydraulic head, and a few pieces around it need to be removed, the IP can stay in the truck. The o-rings can be found at local hardware stores or ordered from somewhere like McMaster-Carr or MV suppliers like White Owl or Memphis Equipment.

I assume the info you're getting by PM is telling you this?

Jon
that is some good info for those of us that aren't too knowledgeable about the IP.

thanks Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks