• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OHIO BMV Changed my Street Legal Title from Virginia to Off Road USE only

major12

Titled and Registered my 715 in Pa. Its a permanent registration, because of age, plus it never needs inspected! I understand Military HUMVEs per federal government, can't be titled to be driven on the roads anywhere. Seems that states are beginning to implement that rule. Unbelievable

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Titled and Registered my 715 in Pa. Its a permanent registration, because of age, plus it never needs inspected! I understand Military HUMVEs per federal government, can't be titled to be driven on the roads anywhere. Seems that states are beginning to implement that rule. Unbelievable
It was that way for a while, whatever department that was handling the SF-97s was stamping them with "off road use only", which means they were performing unauthorized modifications to government forms. I think it was the DLA or something, because the HMMWVs coming from the Marine Corps did not have the stamp.
The federal government can only set guidelines; it's the state's choice whether to follow them or not. That's why some states won't allow them, where other states are no problem.

lnwlf2k

Well, guess i was nervous and going by this post. Here I am thinking it was going to be a nightmare getting my M1025A2 titled and plated. Took my PA title to the BMV, first thing the guy says, hey its a HMMWV while looking at the title. Right there i thought i was done for. Nope no problem, took some manual input but 5 minutes later I am out the door with an Ohio title. The people at the title agency actually peeked out the window to see my hmmwv and asked if it was out there. Of course not, I didn't have the plates yet. Helps that the PA title states its a truck, and so does the Ohio one now. Walked over to the licensing center, after waiting an hour, walked up to the window with my new title and paperwork filled out as a noncommercial truck. Got asked what color the vehicle was, if it was a truck, and got my temp plates right there, my new plates in the mail. No hassles, or anything it was so easy, maybe Ohio has become more open to hmmwv's. Of course this was my experience, your experience may vary, but looks like HMMWV1123 was able to get his as well.

HMMWV1123

Well, guess i was nervous and going by this post. Here I am thinking it was going to be a nightmare getting my M1025A2 titled and plated. Took my PA title to the BMV, first thing the guy says, hey its a HMMWV while looking at the title. Right there i thought i was done for. Nope no problem, took some manual input but 5 minutes later I am out the door with an Ohio title. The people at the title agency actually peeked out the window to see my hmmwv and asked if it was out there. Of course not, I didn't have the plates yet. Helps that the PA title states its a truck, and so does the Ohio one now. Walked over to the licensing center, after waiting an hour, walked up to the window with my new title and paperwork filled out as a noncommercial truck. Got asked what color the vehicle was, if it was a truck, and got my temp plates right there, my new plates in the mail. No hassles, or anything it was so easy, maybe Ohio has become more open to hmmwv's. Of course this was my experience, your experience may vary, but looks like HMMWV1123 was able to get his as well.
Yeah. I did eventually. I tried in Mason Title division in Warren county and downtown Dayton and they wouldn’t do it. I went to Huber Heights and they did it but gave me a long look when I went to get plates (plates is in a different office than title), I got plates in Beavercreek.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll say it again, I go to the BMV and the Title Offices in Preble County, OH and have for years. Registered two M35A2s (commercial historical 50 year plates) and an M813 the same way. Never put a plate on any of the trucks, just painted the tag lettering on the bumper.

dhaumann69166

Colorado a couple of years ago announced that they were going to be recalling all on road titles for military vehicles and sending you off road only titles. Lots of Humvees went up for sale quick after that. Sounds like more and more states are looking into that route. Here in Nebraska my first one was register just like any other ranch pickup and my second one they would only let me have retired military vehicle plates. Costs about 15% less to license as retired military and the plates are fully legal for all on road use. Might be worth looking to see if your state offers any retired military vehicle type of plate/registration.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Well this thread is sure a "buzz kill" taking the fun out of being able to just do your thing in a military rig IMO.

Aren't there restrictions as to when, where, uses. Can't just hop in and go without some lame excuse as in; going to a parade, car show, special event, test drive ?? If off road only ?? what's the fine for rolling down the highway looking for that dirt road for the last 40 miles?

What happens if you have an on road and just passing thur one of the commie states? Burning questions.

Everyday day is a beer run officer....... CAMO

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I suppose that they can impound the truck and make you pay heavy fines and towing in and out.

If going through some states you can get a temp tag to motor through or if your state is legal the other state has to recognize your plate for legal travel.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this thread is sure a "buzz kill" taking the fun out of being able to just do your thing in a military rig IMO.

Aren't there restrictions as to when, where, uses. Can't just hop in and go without some lame excuse as in; going to a parade, car show, special event, test drive ?? If off road only ?? what's the fine for rolling down the highway looking for that dirt road for the last 40 miles?

What happens if you have an on road and just passing thur one of the commie states? Burning questions.

Everyday day is a beer run officer....... CAMO
As was mentioned before, all states have reciprocal agreements, if it is legally licensed/inspected in YOUR state you should have no problem driving in ANY state.
This all sounds more like an administrative issue rather than a law enforcement issue anyway....

I am curious to hear from some TX folks that have HMMWVs with a GVWR over 10K and what titles the state issued them.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've talked to Frank Hoagland about the issue a few times and he didn't seem too interested in discussing it even though he likes my deuce in the parades and even parked in his driveway. I have even thought about getting a Vermont license plate. I've heard that they will plate almost anything.

Awol

I've talked to Frank Hoagland about the issue a few times and he didn't seem too interested in discussing it even though he likes my deuce in the parades and even parked in his driveway. I have even thought about getting a Vermont license plate. I've heard that they will plate almost anything.

They will. If you're state is being difficult, work with a state that will happily register your vehicles.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will. If you're state is being difficult, work with a state that will happily register your vehicles.
Agreed.

But.... almost every state that I know of has a requirement that you register your vehicles in the state in which you reside. In other words, VT will be happy to title and register it, but OH state police will consider the registration invalid since he's an OH resident.

Awol

Agreed.

But.... almost every state that I know of has a requirement that you register your vehicles in the state in which you reside. In other words, VT will be happy to title and register it, but OH state police will consider the registration invalid since he's an OH resident.

The way around that is to open an LLC in whatever state you're registering through. Certain states will view you as a resident if you have a business there, which allows you to register the vehicle under the LLC itself. You can even bypass sales tax.

It's pretty sweet.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The way around that is to open an LLC in whatever state you're registering through. Certain states will view you as a resident if you have a business there, which allows you to register the vehicle under the LLC itself. You can even bypass sales tax.

It's pretty sweet.
if it weighs over 10001lbs you must have enough DOT numbers and medical card and maybe a CDL depending on the state if its registered under the LLC. This would be especially a pain if you went back and forth between that state and yours

Awol

if it weighs over 10001lbs you must have enough DOT numbers and medical card and maybe a CDL depending on the state if its registered under the LLC. This would be especially a pain if you went back and forth between that state and yours
I have no idea about that. I use Montana as a work around, but never have with anything that heavy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ouch... THAT could get expensive in a hurry.
Especially with several vehicles.

And I always wonder how going around the system is going to be if somebody ever has a wreck. I can just hear the lawyers... He couldn't get a title in his own state. He had to break the rules to get it titled and tagged. And what about insurance? Are they going to leave you high and dry too?

I had considered creating a LLC to put my trucks in and it only took me a few minutes talking to my insurance man to figure out that was a bad idea. Mine are all personal vehicles. And with better than average liability coverage - and then an umbrella policy for CYA just in case. You can add a million in liability coverage for "not a lot of bread" if you have several vehicles (trucks, trailers, camper, boat).

Last edited:

Awol

Ouch... THAT could get expensive in a hurry.
Especially with several vehicles.

And I always wonder how going around the system is going to be if somebody ever has a wreck. I can just hear the lawyers... He couldn't get a title in his own state. He had to break the rules to get it titled and tagged. And what about insurance? Are they going to leave you high and dry too?

I had considered creating a LLC to put my trucks in and it only took me a few minutes talking to my insurance man to figure out that was a bad idea. Mine are all personal vehicles. And with better than average liability coverage - and then an umbrella policy for CYA just in case. You can add a million in liability coverage for "not a lot of bread" if you have several vehicles (trucks, trailers, camper, boat).

When I did the Montana deal, I called my insurance company directly (not my local branch) and explained to them how I had my business located in a different state than my personal residence. They said it was no problem at all, and set it all up right over the phone.

I have plates, a title, and a registration. I'm fully insured, with my insurance company fully knowing what's going on. No games or tricks.

Not having to pay state sales tax or having to get inspected once a year kicks ass.

Action

When I did the Montana deal, I called my insurance company directly (not my local branch) and explained to them how I had my business located in a different state than my personal residence. They said it was no problem at all, and set it all up right over the phone.

I have plates, a title, and a registration. I'm fully insured, with my insurance company fully knowing what's going on. No games or tricks.

Not having to pay state sales tax or having to get inspected once a year kicks ass.
With your insurance companny fully knowing whats going on?
No games or tricks?
But you dont really have a business in Montana, do you? Half way across the country. Just one on paper?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
With your insurance companny fully knowing whats going on?
No games or tricks?
But you dont really have a business in Montana, do you? Half way across the country. Just one on paper?
Not looking for any sort of legal advise from anybody with a JD sheepskin - but I sure would like to hear from somebody who could help us understand this situation. Like most things that seem to be too good to be true, I just can't help but wonder.

I think there are multiple discussion points here:
  1. Will insurance pay up in an accident - your fault or the other party - when it costs them a lot of money?
  2. In the eyes of the law, are you legally conducting business in that state?
  3. In a jury trial - supposedly of your peers - will they believe you weren't trying to circumvent the rules set up to "make people safe"?

I can just imagine (like I may have mentioned before) the lawyers explaining to the jury that this man created a paper corporation to avoid a having a legal title in his or her home state that was stamped "Off Road Only". And how you broke the laws of the great state of (insert name). And how your wanton disregard for human life killed my client with your Off Road Vehicle on the public streets

--------

Believe me guys, I don't want to rain on anybody's parade.
I just feel like we all need to know more about the possible exposures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks