• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil and transmission cooler lines

1009er

Changing out the radiator today and both transmission and oil cooler lines were basically welded solid to the fitting. Tried brakleen to clean it up, pb blaster, knocker loose, tried grabbing the lines with channel locks while loosening the nut. Not a thing would work so I just twisted until the lines broke. All 4 of them... Figured it wouldn't be hard to find new lines. I was wrong.... Anyone ever tried using rubber lines with compression fittings? We got a contractor company where I work that they do good pipe work and tubing work and I'll be talking to them to see if they do outside work. But I like to have a back up plan. I'd be using high pressure hoses and all stainless fittings. The rubbing around is what would bother me. Anyone got some input?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I replaced my radiator I had the same problem. I went to a shop that made hydraulic hoses and had new rubber lines made up. Works just fine a year later.

Duke Nukem

I'm in the midst of replacing my radiator. I couldn't get one of the fittings loose from the radiator, so I cut the line. New fittings are cheap, and just requires re-flaring the tube end. A pipe flaring tool is reasonably cheap, and the part that holds the tube can actually stop it from breaking as you try to free frozen fittings. I've saved a brake line this way before. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a great flare because the end of the line is so close to a bend, it was difficult to get the flaring tool on. I'll find out soon if it's good enough to sesl. If I have to, I'd probably find someone with a tubing bender (or buy one) and try to make a new line. Another option could be to cut and flare a small end of tube and join it with the broken section with a short length of rubber hose. I'm not sure how well this would work, maybe someone has already tried it?

1009er

After close examination of the lines the flare on the existing lines are not a normal flare. They are made to seal with an o-ring and are nothing I've ever seen. They are actually for refrigerant. Tomorrow I'll be going back to a hydraulic hose place and seeing if we can get JIC fittings to work. To make all new lines I'd have to go back in with a hose and the hose is of course a refrigerant hose and this place doesn't have the crimp press for that kind. Hopefully the JIC fittings will work.... Fingers crossed. Back up plan #2. Does anyone know of a military truck junk yard in eastern North Carolina

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk