• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Based Paint as fuel?

Kalashnikov

I've heard that recycling centers take oil based paint and mix it with other "fuel" to burn for energy. My question is how can this be adapted to the deuce? Would it require too much filtering to even be worth it? Does anyone know what these recycling centers are using to burn it as fuel?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, too much filtering involved. We've been over this several times, even varnish and wood stain is too cruddy to use as fuel. Not worth it.

I think the recycling centers may be using it in waste oil furnaces, which aren't as sensitive as truck engines.

stumps

I don't think a simple filter would do much good.... It would take out all of the pigment, but it would pass the binders, which are in solution. The binders could easily do things like stick up your valves, and your injection pump... It would very likely make a serious mess of your engine.

The way paint could be burned would be in a furnace type burner. There, as long as you removed all of the inorganic materials (pigment, silica, lead, mercury...) it would all burn away.

-Chuck

flyxpl

I think the best way to do it would be to put it thruogh a thinner recycler ( distiller ) . I think the end result would not be worth it since you would not get enough solvents to justify the process .

wdbtchr

Yes they use it for boiler fuel mixed in with bunker oil. The holes in the burner heads are approximately 1/8" in dia so the pigments are not problem for them.:roll: The oil in oil based paints is Linseed oil.