• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil change Aeroshell 500 Turbine Oil

Amxhunter

I've come into a couple hundred gallons of this Aeroshell 500 oil and was considering using it in a parts truck I have just to get the old oil out.

It's a little hard to understand the specifics of this oil and I believe it may be like a 5W-30 .

this sounded good "AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 is a 5 centistoke synthetic hindered ester oil incorporating additives to improve thermal and oxidational stability and also metal passivation. AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 was developed essentially to meet the requirements of Pratt & Whitney 521 B Type II and MIL -L-23699 specifications and is entirely suitable for all civil and military engines requiring this class of lubricant."

But this had me a little concerned " These fluids are clean running in that they tend to dissolve varnish and sludge rather than leave deposits on working surfaces."

And then this statement is made. "Engine manufacturers, therefore, approve the use of aircraft synthetic turbine oils in their engines."

More talk that concerns me " AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 contains a synthetic ester oil and should not be
used in contact with incompatible seal materials and it also affects some
paints and plastics"

And yes, What I don't use in the crankcase is getting mixed with other fluids for fuel.

Let me know your thoughts.

Westex

2 weeks ago, I observed a guy change the oil in his Robinson 44 helicopter with exactly the same oil. Wouldn't bother me a bit to run the same oil in my deuce, but, then again, it might be a matter of viscosity? Running it as fuel should not be a problem, depending on your settings.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some new in the box turbine oil. I read something on it that seemed to indicate it would release some bad stuff. Might want to read the ingredients on that.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
It seems like I remember someone else on either here or maybe it was cumminsforum.com using that oil as motor oil and it was to thin or something and was causing a bad engine knock and he was told he needed to drain it immediately, but it should make a great fuel.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not recommend using AeroShell 500 turbine oil in a Deuce, or any other piston engine for that matter. The viscosity is quite low and in addition it is absolutely not compatible with mineral oils. I have attached a specification sheet from Shell on turbine engine oils. Pay particular attention to the section entitled Mineral and Vegetable Oils. "Ester based synthetic oils are incompatible with mineral and vegetable oils. In no circumstances should these products be used together, and if changing from ont type to another, then particular care is needed to ensure that all traces of the previous product are removed prior to ester lubricant application."

Attachments

Amxhunter

I would not recommend using AeroShell 500 turbine oil in a Deuce, or any other piston engine for that matter. The viscosity is quite low and in addition it is absolutely not compatible with mineral oils. I have attached a specification sheet from Shell on turbine engine oils. Pay particular attention to the section entitled Mineral and Vegetable Oils. "Ester based synthetic oils are incompatible with mineral and vegetable oils. In no circumstances should these products be used together, and if changing from ont type to another, then particular care is needed to ensure that all traces of the previous product are removed prior to ester lubricant application."

That's pretty much what i had in mind. It's a shame, I probably need to go over to the airport and see if I can do some trading.

M35Brown

Aeroshell 500 is a thin Turbin engine oil, that is only used in turbin engines to lube roller bearings in the engine. Turbins have no thrust load on the bearings, and make no carbon or dirt. the oil runs clean due to no combustion entering the oil. The oil is about 10W, and is to thin to run in piston engines. One qt. of Aeroshell 500 is about $12.50.
You could run Aeroshell 80W or 100W which is 40 weight, and 50 weight, and these are designed for piston engines, and run about $6.00 per. qt.

Amxhunter

Aeroshell 500 is a thin Turbin engine oil, that is only used in turbin engines to lube roller bearings in the engine. Turbins have no thrust load on the bearings, and make no carbon or dirt. the oil runs clean due to no combustion entering the oil. The oil is about 10W, and is to thin to run in piston engines. One qt. of Aeroshell 500 is about $12.50.
You could run Aeroshell 80W or 100W which is 40 weight, and 50 weight, and these are designed for piston engines, and run about $6.00 per. qt.

Yeah , well I got 200 gallons for free. I'll mix it with the 20-50 used stuff I have and have fuel for the summer.

Let's see , at $12.50/qt and 55 gallons = 220 qts x $12.50 = $2750 a drum ! Ouch, drum price is a little cheaper but still OUCH !

I need to sell 1 drum. :)

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the 55 gallon drums are unopened, I'd try to sell them. If they are opened, you may have difficulty selling them for aero use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks