• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil change anomaly

KLRBILLY

I just changed my oil and filter and I can't put more than 4 quarts in without overfilling it according to the dipstick.

I even warmed up the motor and drained the new 4 quarts I had just put in it with the hope of getting more of the old stuff out.

When I went to fill it back up 4 quarts was all it took. It's weird to me that everything I've read says 7 quarts. Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this your first oil change? If this is the first one maybe it's the wrong dipstick? Maybe you have one from a 454 gasser? Yes you should get 7 in there. Does the oil smell like diesel? If so maybe the fuel pump on the side of the engine block failed and is pumping diesel into the oil pan. This is more common than one would think.

KLRBILLY

It is my first oil change. I'm thinking it's the dipstick as well. Do you have a good picture of one from a CUCV?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't even use the dipstick after an oil change. If the engineers that designed the motor say it takes seven quarts, I put seven quarts in. The dipstick presumes a level surface and my driveways have always had an incline (for drainage). I know people that obsess over getting the oil level perfectly on the FULL line of the stick- they gain absolutely nothing for the effort.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think It could be the oil pan. The civi engines and the marine engines I have use the same oil pan.

KLRBILLY

Upon further inspection my dipstick tube has about 4 inches broken off the top. I ordered another one and took Mainsails advice and put in 7 quarts. So basically my truck has been running about 3 quarts low for some time now. That would explain why the approximately 4 quarts that drained out were so thick and nasty.
I'm amazed the truck has run as well as it has that short on oil. At the same time I'm nervous I just reduced the life of the engine considerably

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks