• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Change on the Deuce. When?

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Idle before use = good. Idle to cool down after use = good.

Starting the vehicle and idling it without actually using it = bad.

Once upon a time there was a heavy diesel generator, for backuo power for a hospital I believe. After many years there was actually a need to use it. When they went to start it up and use it, it would barely run and was full of carbon. The explanation? The maintenance crew had dutifully started it once a month and let it run for an hour with no load.

Diesels need to run with a load in order to prevent wet stacking...
Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't planning to have it sitting around a long time just idling. I figured if I wasn't going to take it out, just idle it 5-min to warm up & then shut down. Taking it out for a spin sounds more fun anyway.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you'll find this to be enlightening -
http://www.plantengineering.com/ind...tacking/e0b399904af236d9f863742ca8f03440.html

By all means start and run your truck once a month. Idle it for a bit, then run it up the nice steep section of I 17 pulling the heaviest trailer you can manage, then idle it for a while and shut it down.
ACK! Ok, now I understand what you are referring to. DEFINITELY don't want that in my Deuce. Thanks for the explanation!

I don't have a trailer to drag up a hill, won't cruising down the highway at 2200 RPM keep the engine toasty warm & burning its fuel completely? :driver:

Last edited: