• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil change procedure

lawdog1623

ok ss vets! ill be doing my first oil change in a few days. :grin: im going to replace the oil first, then the coolant. Can one of you experienced gentlemen please point me to a previous thread or throw your directions my way? I have searched on google and im also armed with the tm's. I havent found any better detailed info than the tm's but i did see a thread on another forum where the guy said something about a drain cock and installing a fitting and a hose to drain the oil from the filters. Is this hodgepodge or is there something i need to do on this first oil change to make it easier in the future? Ill be changing coolant next so please feel free to provide me instructions on this as well. Im very excited about all this, this is the last step before i drive my girl to the local shop so i can personally start sandblasting and priming her. I have a lot of pics im going to upload of the process.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First thing, let it sit over night. Most but NOT ALL will drain the oil back to the oil pan so you don't make a mess. I would put a tarp or cardboard under the truck if its your first time. I like to drain the rear sump of the oil pan first, then do the front in a separate bucket. That way if there is more than 5gal of oil, you don't have a huge mess and the buckets are not spilling full. The rest is easy, swap filters and install drain plugs, fill with oil.

jasonjc

Get a roll of the oil absorbent mats. You get can get them at any auto parts place they are like real thick shop towels. Put 1 or 2 of these under and around the base of the oil filter housing. Also have a 1 gal size bucket (think old ice cream bucket) right there (setting on the fram) so you can put the old filter right in it when you remove it. With these two things you should keep the mess to a minimum.

One more thing when reinstalling the filter can do not trun it on the gasket as this mite trear it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a roll of the oil absorbent mats. You get can get them at any auto parts place they are like real thick shop towels. Put 1 or 2 of these under and around the base of the oil filter housing. Also have a 1 gal size bucket (think old ice cream bucket) right there (setting on the fram) so you can put the old filter right in it when you remove it. With these two things you should keep the mess to a minimum.

One more thing when reinstalling the filter can do not trun it on the gasket as this mite trear it.
Also be sure to clean around the oil filter tubs very well so dirt etc. don't fall in when you remove the filters and tubs. I also mark the tub's position so that it goes back the same way. I've had issues with small leaks around the filter tubs and had to loosen and rotate to a position where it quick leaking.

JCKnife

I finally did my first oil change this past week, it was a piece of cake. As a bonus, I think I eliminated an oil leak.

(long story but since I run WMO I thought I had a minor fuel leak near the IP but turns out to have been oil coming out the back side of a filter housing, I think. Time will tell...)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TORQUE the can hold downs, the tube is hollow and the nut part is only affixed to the tube with a roll pin. Too much tightening will shear the pin off and don't let the cans rotate when you tighten them. It can cut the gasket and then you'll have a mess! Look carefully, sometimes the gaskets are hard to see..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not drain into a funnel! It will overflow.

The Tech manuals do have complete instructions(including torque specs). Oil cange should be in the -20TM.

Heavysteven

Here is a video on YouTube that goes over the engine. You can see both oil filter canisters, the oil cap, how to remove the dip stick, and both drain plugs.

Don't let the oil canisters turn during reinstallation. The spring can twist and jam into the washer.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5UUpqagrf0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Having second thoughts about posting this same video so many times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks