• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil change

1986Blazerk5

i would recommend rotella t diesel oil, i use it and love it, i would also get the wix filter from orielly auto parts but napa probably has the wix as well

bigflew

when draining oil if you have a oil sample valve open it you will drain an extra pint or so. i I belive it is from the oil cooler. (the valve is located near top drivers side of the radiator.)

Wolf.Dose

If you look for theoil requirements: On the dip stick is the quality requirement stamped in, if it is the original one. 15W40 HD SF/CD is good enough, SG/CE is also ok, changing intervall is under normal conditions 5000 miles. Purolator offers fitting filters, check the oil filter section in you Fleets Farm market, scout the oil filter list, they are between 3 and 8 $ ,depending on standard or gold series. Standard is fine.
Wolf

3dubs

They make an oil filter that is double the size. It looks like it get near the exhaust. But it works great. That way you have double the filter element. Better oil flow and more protection. I just asked at O'Rielly for a bigger filter. I will look for the number and put it on here. It is made by Wix.

Wolf.Dose

3dubs, more protection I do not understand.
Fact is, the more a filter is filled with debris the smaller the gaps in the filter will become and filter more debris out of the oil. Under extreme circumstances, means, you will not be able to get a replacement filter, you can use the oil filter as long as it becomes warm during use for there is still some oil flow through the filter. The by pass valve useually opens at a pressure of arround 20 psi which is more than the resistance of a very loaded oil filter. So a filter change is not really neccessary befor the filter does stay cold during use.
In other words, if you skip the filter change every second time, nothing bad will happen to your engine.
Wolf

3dubs

Wolf.Dose it is obvious you don't understand my thinking. I do not know how many engines you have rebuilt but I have only done a couple. In my limited exposure I have found rebuilding engines time consuming and expensive. But if you want to rebuild your engine go ahead. You can use a smaller air filter too.

In a simple mind like mine a bigger filter of any kind means it can hold more before it clogs up. That means there will be much better flow. I have rebuilt engines that did not even have an oil filter. Oil serves two purposes both lubrication and cooling. You are only talking about can any oil get through the filter. If the oil filter is so clogged no oil is getting filtered you are damaging your engine. The larger filter allows more oil to flow through with less restriction for better lubrication and more protection. More oil flow cools the engine putting less dependence on the cooling system. The bigger filter also has more external surface area to remove more heat from the engine. Why do you think the oil pan hangs down and made of thinner metal. Because it cools the oil.

But you can run a smaller air filter for all I care. But I use a filter used on buses. I drive in dirt and hot conditions. The Wix number is 51794 and NAPA 1794. But you use what you want because I am stupid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks