• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Choices - Recommendations?

DeuceDad

I am preparing to do my first oil change and I have read a lot about Rotella oil, but what about Delo or Mobil's Delvac oil? Both state they are heavy duty for diesel engines and a few bucks cheaper, all three are available at WalMart. I drive my deuce less than 500 miles a year so my thinking is a non Rotella oil may suit my needs just fine, but I would like the input of my respected peers on this one. ;)

Attachments

As long as they all meet the CJ-4 standard you should be safe. When it comes to oil there is only so many differences and then it comes down to brand preference. Check out bobistheoilguy.com

armytruck63

Last time I changed my oil I used the Delo 400 and I have used Shell Rotella in the past. I prefer single weight, so I used SAE 30, which is getting harder to find.

Terexts

Can't go wrong with any of them 3 oils. I serviced semi trucks and them were the 3 brands we used. Of the 3 oils Delvac and Rotella were neck and neck with Delo not far behind. We serviced many of the large OTR companies trucks, like Werner, USA, TMC, etc. The companies would have the brand they used on the work orders. Most of the trucks would go anywhere from 10,000 to 25,000 miles before changing the oil, depending on the company. I personally choose Rotella cause it's easy to find and cheap were I live.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the Rotella but they're all fine. Try to get it in the 5 gal pails from NAPA or other parts store. Might save a few more dollars.

DeuceDad

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!! I appreciate your years of experience and the advice that comes with it.

I have a couple more questions.... is there synthetic oil for this application? Can synthetic oil be burned as WMO in a multi-fuel without problems or is this something that should be avoided?

armytruck63

I wouldn't personally switch to a synthetic oil in a Deuce. Besides the cost, synthetic oil tends to worsen any minor leak.

Edit: Just re-read your post and realized that you were talking about burning the synthetic oil. Don't know the answer on that.

Last edited:

Terexts

I use Rotella 5W40 synthetic in my pickup. Last time I changed oil in it, I poured it into my deuce and it ran fine. I don't know if your suppose to burn synthetic or not. I haven't done any research on it. I'm sure someone here has done some kind of research tho.

Terexts

Did a quick search on google and synthetic will burn, but it's flash point depends on how much it is broken down due to usage, thats all I found at the moment.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have used Delo400 for a while now. I have burned synthetic as a fuel for a longer amount of time. If you have more specific questions, post up!

tanhmmwv

I use AMSOIL. expensive, but once a year oil changes, better in cold weather for engine, tansmission and gear oils. I was hesitant to use it, but wont use anything else now.

RAYZER

I have always used rotella in all my diesel applications and do a service change about 6 or 8k miles,it works for me. There's a guy I met in the Wal-Mart parking lot one day when I was in my deuce,I noticed some wmo containers on his trailer and inquired about what he did with his used wmo. Turns out he services standby generators with Mobil 1 synthetic, now he brings me 10 gal of almost new Mobil 1 per mo in their original containers and sets them under the deuce in my driveway,this stuffs like new with hardly any dislocation, I'm having a hard time deciding to burn it as fuel because its almost 0 hr $30.00 per gal oil and think it might be put to better use. I have used synthetic as fuel but usually its mixed and filtered with other non synthetic wmo, it works just fine.

Bill W

I've used Delo for years in my diesels ( cummins & Navistar) then recently switched to Rotela, My deuce gets the store brand 15w-40 diesel oil being as little miles as I put on it I'll be changing it do to age and not from milage put on it

DeuceDad

THANKS AGAIN everyone for the great dialogue, I was just uncertain about burning synthetic. Looks like my question regarding what oils to use has also been answered.