• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Contamination

Eric

Hi Guys, I found some antifreeze in the oil of my 44 jeep 134 go deval. I fear the worst. I hope it is the hea gasket. any help would be helpful. I hope to press. check the cooling sys. will this tell me if my block is shot?

Eric

Hello, When I got it home, she sat for a day. I noticed a drip under the oil drain plug. drained the oil, let it set and the antifreeze separated from the oil. Yep its in the oil. (Loud moan).....

yd328

Eric, pull your spark plugs out to see if there's a sign of water in a cylinder or cylinders such as a clean plug. Also check to see if the top of any pistons are clean.
Gary

Last edited:

Todd Haley

Sounds like a possible head gasket, like Gary said,check your plugs but before you pull the head you may want to pull the Dist. out and pressurize the sytem to see if there is a crack in the Dist. bore. I have seen them crack there and drive you nuts trying to find the leak.
If the block is cracked instead of just the head gasket leaking don't give up hope on it, many cracks can be repaired just fine:-D

Eric

Hello, I pulled the plugs, front to rear, first three valve areas look Clean, fourth has greasy oily film on plug and valve area. outside looking at motor head gasket looks wet upper left of Dist cap across from cyl. 4. might just be wishfull thinking. Thanks guys. I am not a Mech. by any strech, I like to mess with this stuff. I am going to rebuild 210266 one way or the other!

Eric

Hello, I pulled the head and gasket but I didnt see any tears in the Gasket or blowouts, There was one loose bolt next to the carb. I can not see any cracks in the block between valves or anywhere else. Any help?

yd328

Eric, did you pressure test the system as Todd had mentioned and was that loose bolt a head bolt? How about the cylinder walls any cracks? Usually if a cylinder has a water leak the top of the piston and cylinder head would be clean or cleaner than the others. Did you notice any excessive white smoke , steam or sweet smell coming out of the tailpipe last time you ran it. Gary

Gordon_M

Get the head on ...

Get the head back on, fill it up with water, and pressurise the water jacket as mentioned above.

Pull the distributor out as a unit, and look down the bore of the distributor tube in the block for water running down (you really need to pressurise it to see it).

If you can see water running down that tube, a common fault, especially in Ford blocks for some reason, there is a really easy fix....

1. Cut about a 6" length of 1/2 bore copper heating tube.

2. Check it will clear your distributor shaft by trying it on there - if not put a 1/2" steel bar down the middle of it and roll it till the diameter increases a bit, then try.

3. Try it in the distributor shaft hole - needs to be quite a neat fit. Adjust the length till it matches the length of the hole. (You dont want it too long or it will hit the rotating components in the sump)

4. Cover the copper tube in gasket sealant and push it down the hole.

5. Re-fit distributor by the book and drive off ....

You are really just using copper tube covered with gasket goo to line the bore of that cast hole. If done properly it is a permanent repair, and without pulling the sump. If you do have the sump off you can neaten it up a bit top and bottom.

Gordon_M

Eric

Hey All... Found the Leak... Just as Gorden M said ... Down the Dist. Bore... SOB. Thanks Alot Guys.. Its at Bensingers Now getting Rebuilt...Jeep Is at 80% rebuild... Hope to have it up and Running For the Eisenhower Event... Once again... Thanks:-D

yd328

Eric,

Glad to hear that your problem has been found and is being taken care of. Thanks for the update.

Gary

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks