• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil cooler bypass

galeo7171

I picked up a m1009 on the cheap that needs some work. One of the metal oil cooler lines that run in front of the radiator is broken. I am having a hard time tracking down replacement parts for that. For now, I would like to bypass the oil cooler. is there a way to plug the holes in the radiator where the metal lines would have gone?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pipe plugs at the engine block will work.

A search should have found this info, as well as the replacement hose part numbers. prices and source.

gungearz

Why don't you just rubber line it to an oil cooler.... Those hard lines arnt needed. You can either cut the line and put a piece of rubber line over the tube and hose clamp it or you can put brass barbed fittings on each end and put the rubber lines on those.

dependable

I had a hydraulic hose made that bypassed the aluminum lines. It was my plow truck and I had no time to fix it and did not want to get to the hoses on the back of the engine in the snow. Left it that way until spring.

southdave

flare the line

Why don't you just rubber line it to an oil cooler.... Those hard lines arnt needed. You can either cut the line and put a piece of rubber line over the tube and hose clamp it or you can put brass barbed fittings on each end and put the rubber lines on those.
I did that very thing about two years ago worked well until swap out my old tried motor that the cam was smoked, for humvee take out with a high volume oil pump. well was well til I was climbing a pretty good grade at my house. the oil line came off the supply side fitting smoke the tubo instanly. I should have flared the end of what was left of the old cooler. ow I have a paranoida about me over preasuring the rad. The moral of the whole story is that they will sell tools to anyone... lol
My new system involves a PEX plate heat exchanger in conjuction with a 6.5 air to oil cooler. note system is the reverse of trans cooler up.
the coolant to oil heat exchanger then to a thermostat controled air to oil. BTW tis required and an extra 2.5 quarts of oil between turbo and cooler system. wheather it is the extra volume in the system or the actual cooling capibilites. but egt are down as engine temp (coolant ) are runing 185 to 190 degrees

Last edited:

jmayes1261

I have oil in my coolant but not in the motor do you think it is the oil cooler and how hard is it to change or can I bypass it and plug it off I am in Texas

jmayes1261

I think there are two o rings inside there where the water comes in making it leak into the radiator have you ever heard of that before

Drock

I have oil in my coolant but not in the motor do you think it is the oil cooler and how hard is it to change or can I bypass it and plug it off I am in Texas
Oil pressure is around 45LBS & coolant is 16LBS, so oil always wins the fight. Sounds like it's time for a new radiator.

85CUCVtom

I'm with gimp on this one. I needed one of the hardlines a few years ago, wasn't the easiest find but they are out there. If I recall correctly, one if not both are discontinued from GM. They can be found though. Rubber lines to an external oil cooler is a good option too.

How did the hardline break?

The part numbers are in the TM's. As for the rubber hoses, the aftermarket one are garbage. Try to have a hydraulic shop "rebuild" the ones you have. If not you can make super heavy duty ones from AN line.

rsh4364

I think there are two o rings inside there where the water comes in making it leak into the radiator have you ever heard of that before
You have posted 3 times, but not specified what MV you have cucv or m35a2 or both. It makes diagnosis easier. If a cucv,oil in coolant but no coolant in oil would suggest oil cooler in radiator let go. As Drock previously stated.

Last edited:

jmayes1261

Are there any hoses that go to the oil cooler on a multi-fuel engine I cannot find any lines I think it's all self-contained if so I need to buy a gasket kit before I pull it apart does anyone know thank you

MarcusOReallyus

You have not specified what vehicle you are talking about. You are posting in the CUCV section, which has nothing to do with multi-fuel engines.

You are also not using punctuation as required by the site rules.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks