• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil cooler connection type on cucv radiator

richingalveston

I am trying to connect hoses to my oil cooler in the radiator. I have a new radiator that came with some small brass flare heads with o rings on back.

From what I can tell these work with an inverted flare fitting like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/sum-220667b/overview/

Am I correct an does anyone know the size and thread count, I am out of town and would like to get the fittings ordered.

Thanks
Rich

richingalveston

yes, that was what I was looking for, from memory I thought they were bigger than half inch. The radiator came with two small flare adaptors with o rings that fit in the hole with or ring facing radiator. I have found some one piece ones on line but kind of expensive compared to getting the fitting from summit. I have the lines already. I am trying to not have to many different types of hoses. one type of hose works for the high pressure lines on power steering and also the oil turbo line (3/8 braded pfte). The trans and some of the oil cooler lines will be the same braided 1/2 line. The main oil cooler lines I got from Leroy diesel along with one cooler the lines are braided pfte and very nicely built. The cooler is block style.

Barrman

Rich,
I used Russel part number 640330 to go from the stock CUCV diesel radiator to -6 AN lines on my transmission cooling system. -6 is 3/8" ID.

The Leroy oil cooler AN lines are a lot bigger. -10 maybe? I have them as well.

richingalveston

no, I did not read your post close enough. I am connecting to the oil cooler lines. I am not using the metal lines that run across the radiator. I have a oil cooler installed and I am using 1/2 pipe to connect the lines from the engine to, they pipe splits and goes to the two oil coolers. I need to connect 1/2 NPT to the oil cooler not transmission cooler.

I had my dad check and he determined they were 3/4 -16 inverted flare. I already have the trans cooler connected to the hydro system. I am using it for the circuit that comes from the brake hydroboost line. I have the return line from the steering gear box (which also feeds hydro steer system) going to a separate cooler mounted above the oil cooler. The trans cooler is large and I am using without the radiator cooler/

yes the trans cooler lines are 1/2-20. The oil cooler connections are 3/4-16 Inv. flare.
kept this on its own thread with good title so maybe it will help others. I will update my build thread this weekend.

Rich

richingalveston

Maybe it is not 3/4-16. I cannot find a fitting that matches. found some 18mm and 11/16 but no 3/4. checked back with my dad and he says what he tested was possibly a little loose. The TM's don't list this connection size since it uses the metal lines,

There are also only about 4 or 5 threads on the radiator so it is easy to get the wrong size with that few threads to work with.

If anyone knows of an adapter, send me a link. I am to connect AN fittings directly to the radiator oil cooler connections.

Rich

Barrman

Call Leroy. He sells coolers with that funky non standard GM thread with AN adaptors.

I thought you were asking about transmission coolers. Sorry. I think I know what you are asking about now though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks