• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil cooling lines on 6.2 diesel

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can. Why do you want to do that?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to add a universal oil cooler from summit racing or somewhere like that.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a must have, but a great idea!

Even a simple 6' long 3/8" length of steel brake line bent in a long loop would provide some additional cooling.

I think all diesels had the coolers in the radiators.

Personally, I would add something for additional cooling.(unless it was an on the road emergency fix)

The last new radiator I bought was around $350.

OL AG '89

I haven't put the oil temp gauge in mine yet, but I'm curious what difference it would make without the added cooling. I would think in the winter months probably not a big deal, but I imagine in the 100+ degree summer I would want the additional cooling through the motor.

Matt65

does any one know if you can block off the oil cooling lines on the 6.2 diesel motor?
I have had my 1008 for 2 years. The engine oil cooler ports were capped off at the filter base and radiator when I purchased it. I have towed to full gross in the Winter, and the Summers exceed 100F here rolling the 37" Hummer Radials. It has never ran hot, lost power, or seen a temp. light.

HOWEVER, GM felt them important enough to add them and there must be a good reason for it. I plan on adding mine back in the Spring.

I bent new trans cooler lines from scratch a few weeks ago, no trouble at all. Unless I find a set cheap, I will probably do the same for the engine lines. Oh....and you should not run the TH400 without trans cooler lines. ;)

Matt65

It could be possible that in very cold weather it helps increase lubrication by raising the engine oil temp closer to that of the radiator when running. If using a coolant style block heater it may exchange heat to the oil in the radiator as well when the engine is shutdown.

I have nothing to support this, just speculation.