• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil drain plug gasket too small? what do I do.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happened to the copper gasket that was installed with the plug prior to you removing it? These gasket are re-useable if their not mashed, overtightened.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel/Canvas has a point , the new washer may need to be threaded on the drain plug. You had to cut the drain plug off? A 6 point socket or box wrench would not get it loose? You guys mechanically inclined? Not an insult, it helps to understand the proper tool for the job. These plugs can be rounded off real easy with an adjustable wrench. Any pictures of the plug?
JC

rmgill

When the copper gasket is tightened down, it gets squished inwards AND outwards. The new gasket should carefully thread onto the plug. IF not, check at NAPA.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a file?

Diecorpse

I don't have the copper washer on my drain plugs. They leaked a little when I got the truck, so I just used black permatex. No issues ever since. I usually leave the permatex on there long enough to begin curing before I reinstall the plugs. Should probly get the washers for them, eventually.

Diecorpse

Yeah I know, I'm a redneck. . . Always gerry riggin stuff. Lol. Was going to use duct tape but that didn't work so. . . I'm kidding GAWD!! LOL. Seriously though, I plan on getting the washers since I'm overhauling my truck, figure its time to do it right while it's apart.