• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil filter changing

davemccoull

Is it possible to change oil filters on the deuce without getting oil all over the place?. i,m wondering if there is a drain plug to drain the housings before you remove them! Do the housings drain back into the crankcase if left for a day? i notice there are various plugs in the filter head, but looking at parts list these seem to house various by-pass valves, i removed a 3/8 plug on left side of housing and nothing came out, which made me think filers had drained back to crankcase,
Would appreciate your expert advice.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they drain on their own.
When you put the canisters back, don't twist them, that will usually upset the relatively thin gasket. Just apply pressure to seat the canister and tighten.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had a petcock on the bottom of the filter head. Pay no attention to the QD, didn't believe it had 90 PSI o/p. Dave, is yours up and running? Yes, they drain back, that's why it takes so long to build o/p.

Attachments

davemccoull

Thanks for all your help guys. my truck is up and running, ijust want to change oil and filters without getting oil all over the place!. looking at Will,s photo,s my filter head has a pipe plug, i,ll replace with a pet cock, thats the answer to my problem, thanks again everyboby.

houdel

Will - Where do you find those petcocks? I've been looking for some to replace the radiator style petcocks on my primary fuel filter drain and secondary/final filter bleed so I can drain/bleed without getting diesel all over the place. Got to be 1/8" NPT though.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The petcock was on it when i got it, it's just a 1/4 npt, 90 degree petcock. The quick disconnect is a Cummins comp u check fitting. They come in 1/8 and 1/4 pipe and straight thread o-ring sizes...not cheap, but i kind of have a supply. There is also a female end, like an air hose. Wanna see a pic, need 1 or 2?

houdel

Will - Thanks for the offer but I don't need the QDs, just trying to find a source for some petcocks. -- Lee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks