• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil filter

Wildland

What engine, 6.2 or 6.5? I have a 6.5 and use a K & N oil filter (HP3002) and Chevron Delo 15-40 mineral oil.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum, since you are in FL you can use your favorite brand of diesel oil 15-W40 year round.
I use Delo, Shell Rotella, or Delvac whatever TSC has the cheapest.
No value in using full synthetics this is a "dirty" engine and needs frequent oil changes, I recommend 3K/ once a year.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What engine, 6.2 or 6.5? I have a 6.5 and use a K & N oil filter (HP3002) and Chevron Delo 15-40 mineral oil.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
6.2 and 6.5 use the same filters. The only difference is they recommend an anti-drainback filter in the 6.5.

87cr250r

If you cut open filters to check engine condition you'll quickly become a fan of Wix.

My wife used to take her Toyota Corolla in for service before I met her. The shop used Champ brand filters. Made in USA. I did a cut. It has a Parker anti-drainback valve. it was nitrile rubber and rock hard after 5k miles. I tried to press the oil out of the element in a vise for inspection and the element disintegrated.

I installed a Wix filter, ran it 5k miles and cut it open, pressed the element without damaging it. The anti-drainback valve was also made by Parker but was silicone so was it still like new.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also a fan of wix.
But I worry now that they have been bought by Mann-Hummel who also owns Purolator and several other filter companies, these takeovers rarely lead to better products.
Wix was already a world wide company with iso certified factories. This allows them to now offer propriety filters only Mann makes in addition to a very large coverage wix has.
Might see some consolidation on the less known brands to the flagship brands.

87cr250r

Fram uses cellulose fiber (I won't say cardboard) end caps for their filters. This creates the perception of cheap. Is it a problem? I don't know, the filter media is cellulose as well so why would there be a problem having cellulose ends?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dam I just picked up the farm one fk…. Is there a reason why ?
The lower end fram filters are reputed to be of very poor quality overall. I don't know if that is entirely true or not, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone tear them open or test them and dispute it.

The higher end fram filters seem to be better quality, but the reputation of the cheaper ones has stuck with the brand.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 20 years in another lifetime I sold parts.

Napa had a display made by wix which is napa of a napa filter,Fram, And ac delco .

Fram looked like it was hot glued together with something just better than toilet paper with end caps and valve that screamed junk.

Just Google it to see Fram reviews. Not one review that I am aware puts Fram as a leader.

I am not aware of any large parts chain that still sells Fram. If it were not for walmart they would have been gone a long time ago.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 20 years in another lifetime I sold parts.

Napa had a display made by wix which is napa of a napa filter,Fram, And ac delco .

Fram looked like it was hot glued together with something just better than toilet paper with end caps and valve that screamed junk.

Just Google it to see Fram reviews. Not one review that I am aware puts Fram as a leader.

I am not aware of any large parts chain that still sells Fram. If it were not for walmart they would have been gone a long time ago.
I get a chuckle every time I am in Walmart, the Wally world Supertech oil filters are made by Champions Labs Inc and they have a much better rep than Fram and they are cheaper too :LOL:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get a chuckle every time I am in Walmart, the Wally world Supertech oil filters are made by Champions Labs Inc and they have a much better rep than Fram and they are cheaper too :LOL:
Champion labs is also iso9000 certified factories and a quality product. All they make is private labels. I think they still make STP which is the autozone main product they push now. Years ago when I first started at Auto Shack (zone) they were heavy into purolator.

87cr250r

As I describe above Champion was the worst filter I have cut and pressed. I would not recommend it for 5k+ oil changes. The nitrile anti-drainback valve was one thing but the fact that the filter media couldn't survive being pressed was shocking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks