• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil for fuel

rice

Is it possible or practical to clean used motor oil to be used as fuel for a deuce, even as a partial mix? I know a local trucking company at one time had a machine to clean the oil to mix a small percentage in with regular diesel.

rdixiemiller

I have run 25% used motor oil in the last tank. Strained it through a 5 micron bag filter I got from McMaster Carr.
I have heard from a member in the Netherlands that he runs 50% WMO and some kind of diesel fuel mixed.
The military adds up to 8% (I think) into JP8 and run it in the diesel engines of the HMMV's

Scrambler

rdixiemiller said:
....................I have heard from a member in the Netherlands ..........
That'll be me :wink:

Mine runs on half used engine oil and half petroleum (I believe you guys call it kerosine, the fuel for lamps or antique cooking/camping, whatever you call that stuff)

In Holland Kerosine is jetfuel. That is not the fuel used. That'll be too expensive. Petroleum is cheaper to get, about half the diesel price.

I have a huge funnel out of a watertanktrailer, about 1 foot in diameter, mage of screen. I place that in a plastic funnel, place a large coffeefilter on top and let the mix run through. After that I put it in the tank and it runs fine. I've been using this as long as I own Dueces which will be 11 years now.

Desert Rat

Ken and I are using a similar mix. We have centrifuges and can spin down quite a bit of UMO to burn. The lighter "sweet" oil stays on top and the crud goes to the bottom. I love those G forces!!!!!!!!

Katch1

there is no reason not to mix in some clean used motor oil into your fuel tank. The original army tests used it as one of the test fuels

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks