• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil for power steering?

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
My M52 tractor is leaking red oil from the steering gear box and the reservoir is low... My initial thought was to use hydraulic oil or power steering fluid, but the LO says OE10. Motor oil in the steering gear? Seems odd, I would think hydraulic oil would be better, but I'll flush out the system and put 10w in there if that's what should be done. I found no reference to steering oil in the 5-ton archives... What are you guys using?

Regards,
Jon

devilman96

Don't be surprised about it requiring motor oil, many hydraulic applications call for a straight weight OE between 10 and 30 weight...

I don't have a 5 ton but I do know hydraulic system fairly well... Don't use hydraulic or UTF in a steering gear unless it calls for it... Both foam like crazy and will cause problems with cavitation. ATF is a safe bet 95% of the time as it controls foaming, doesn't have as many additives as motor oil and displaces heat well...

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you use for power steering fluid in the 5-ton?

I've read LO manual and it says to use HDO 10 oil (I'm guessing Heavy Duty 10 weight oil with detergents)

Trouble is, I can't find SAE 10 oil anywhere - Walmart, AutoZone, Napa, Tractor Supply.

Tractor supply has non-detergent 10W oil, and SAE Heavy Duty 20 oil. When I asked at the NAPA store, the clerk said the closest he had to 10 weight oil was ATF fluid. When searching SS posts, some said they use ATF fluid.

I have some Dextron-III/Mercon ATF fluid, and some NAPA power steering fluid. Which should I use, or should I try the HDO 20 oil (in south LA it rarely gets below freezing).

Thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have concluded that "Premium tractor hydraulic fluid", sold at Carquest and NAPA stores will do the job. It has the equivalent viscosity of 10W engine oil...

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
10W oil, hydro fluid etc...all 10W and all works.
I would not use commercial PS Fluid or trans fluid...but thats just me.
And I love my 5tons...all 5 of em;-)

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all!!! I'm taking back the PS fluid. I used the ATF today on a 270 mile trip and found that it was leaking at the Right Front Cylinder. I had to add about 1/2 pint after every 135 miles. Need to find that leak and fix it. I'll go for the hyd. oil if I can't find the SAE 10W.

adv789

Hey, i just had the same issue today. i didt know what fluid to use, so i started looking around. i ended up just using 15W-40 motor oil, the same thing i use in my engine. i have an M54a2, with a LDS 465-1a. it seems to be doing just fine. however im still looking for my leak..:cry: sure is fun driving it though :wink:

Ryan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks