• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil from exhaust manifold?

gene

well once I got the tandem axil bracket repaired and changed out all the fluids in the m35 I noticed oil dripping down from the starter. Traced the origin to the bottom portion of the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the block and even a slight amount from the exhaust portion of the turbo assembly. Took off the turbo and there is no frank oil inside that I can see and the turbo seems to have no appreciable play. I should mention that the color of the smoke leaving the stack seems normal. I thought that if a turbo were going bad the deuce should smoke like a banshee.

only thing I can figure that may have contributed to this new oil leak is that when I replaced the crankcase oil I did a final check of the oil level approx one minute after the truck had been turned off (per the manual) and added oil to the full line. I double checked the oil level after the new leak showed up and the truck had been sitting for hours and noted that I had over filled to the tune of about a gallon. Felt real stupid. Followed the manual but guess I did it wrong anyway. Below is a pic of the side of the engine with the turbo removed. Can anyone tell me the possible reasons for the oil leaking from the exhaust manifold assembly? Did I just really screw something up or is there an easy fix?

BTW, the pictures of Kenny's engine removal (all done before lunch) are in a word, motivating. With the manuels, time, tools and steel soldiers even the newbies can drive on!

Any thoughts on the problem at hand are appreciated.

Gene

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
very hard to tell from pic, this could be head gasket leakage as they are vented. look up at the head joint and you may see little loops of gasket sticking out with a opening in the center. this is normal and the opening goes in to an area around the fire ring in the gasket. when compression leaks past it is vented out the side rather than hurt the rest of the gasket. on the other hand if this oil is coming out the exhaust ports, slobbering, most likely is 1 or more injectors not spraying a correct pattern or something like a mouse nest in the intake limiting air to some cylinders. i don't think 1 gal over full is any big deal as you are spreading that one gal out over a pretty big area. clean it off, run it for 100 miles and check it again.

ah1955

As for your oil level I think that the level after all oil has drained down is about 1" above to full mark, you might be a little over but I would not think that is your problem.
You are right that if a turbo is out black smoke to the point that you can't see behind you,thats the engine sucking oil out of the pan and burning it.
The oil staining you see could be from alot of idling and the exhust manifold leaking this is what we call spittal, a tell tale sign that a driver does a lot of idling (after his fuel mileage numbers are low and he says "I never let my truck idle"
Other possablity head gasket ? not sure on the multafuel so would not rule out, have read about others replacing head gaskets don't remember what lead them to that.
Hope this helps some just some ideas.

gene

thanks. i have noticed the the bolts holding on the exhaust manifold are loose such that I can turn some of them by hand with a 6 inch box wrench. planning on getting new gasket for the intake/exhaust manifold and replacing and torquing to spec. i was idling the truck for awhile in 95-100 degree heat. it may indeed have been spitting.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene,

I'll save you some time looking.. There is no torque spec for the exhaust or intake nuts.. The TM just says "tighten nuts"... You'll see there is no room on most of the nuts for a socket or torque wrench, just a normal open ended wrench.. On some, I couldnt even use my neat "gear wrenches"........... I'd also suggest changing your coolant, thermostat and all your hoses, as you'll have most of it apart anyway. Off the top of my head, you'll need the intake/exhuast manifold gasket, the 6 intake coolant gaskets, the thermostat gasket, and the new hose... Dont forget the turbo gaskets too!

Dont ask me why I know all this.... :)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A reminder. BLUE smoke is oil, Black smoke is just lots o fuel. White smoke is timing, air in the system or just a cold engine. Slobber out the exhaust joints is normal if all you have done is start it and let it idle or putt it around and not work it. If it's dripping out the joints, run it, don't idle it. It will clean up. The little tabs on the gaskets will vent compression if the gasket is blown, old style gaskets are prone to this, new style gaskets don't have the tab and are like modern FelPro gaskets. They don't leak. If there are no exhaust leaks at the gaskets, just tighten the mounting capscrews and it will be fine, it's a PITA to do the gaskets. 2cents

gene

Gentlemen, thank you for the advise. first course of action will be to tighten all mounting hardware, clean off all oil markings and run it for awhile. its true that all i've really done with the truck since purchasing it is idle and a few short runs. got the motivation to dive in an do the hard stuff but if it aint necessary than why not let discression be the better part of valor. thanks again.

gene

oil leaks at exh. manifold

GENE,
I am having the same problem, but I have intermitent clattering from the injectors and a noticeable drop in power along with a little extra smoke at a short term idle.
There is also black oil running down a couple of exhaust ports at the manifold
I am beginning to think that the injectors are hanging up and loading up the cylinders with excessive fuel?????????
I will have the injectors popped and cleaned as needed by a pro.
Does this sound like the problem guys?

Well Gene, I hope we find a fix

I second the statement about prolonged idling; when I worked on my deuce once I let it high-idle for quite a time because I needed compressed air from its tanks. After that I saw the same oilstains, and it was smoking a bit more.
I guess if you take it on the street and run it it'll be fine afterwards!

Cheers,
Mark

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with everyone about the prolonged idling. Diesels will wet stack if they are not running hot enough and idling will cause this. Mine will actually throw gunk out of the stack when I rev it up if it has been idling a long time. As far as the oil level, if you check the level one minute after shut-down it should be directly on the full mark. As hours pass, the oil in the top end runs back down into the pan and the dipstick will read too high. Check the oil level again after warmed up and stopped for one minute.

oil leaking from exhaust manifold

I had the same problem, it was the cold weather starting heater system!!!!
There is a fuel nozzle fitting on the intake manifold that has a fuel supply and a return fuel line. This unit supplies fuel directly into the intake for cold weather starting and works with a igniter/spark plug to fire it up upon switching it on.
The fuel nozzle on the intake was leaking fuel into the intake and loading up my engine at idle and oil coming out the exhaust!
I disconnected it and capped the return line and the problem went away!!!!!!
The pressure from the return fuel line overcame the check valve in the fuel fitting/nozzle/sprayer and leaked into my engine!
I have not heard of anyone else having this problem!
Check it out!!!
Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks