• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil/fuel additives

2w091

What is your take on oil/fuel additives? Things like Motor Kote, Desl-Shok, Seafoam, etc.

Since most HMMWV's are older vehicles would they be recommend? If so why or why not? I was given a couple free bottles of different types of these for our fleet, not from sales reps, but from members of the community wanting to donate them.

I've heard and read good things about them, just wondering if they are worth it or all hype.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

I know most people that will respond will be loyal to the brand they use for whatever reason.

The stuff I use is:

Oil additive - Lucas oil stabilizer, but not every oil change like it is recommended,
Fuel additive - Power Service Diesel Kleen with Cetane boost, again, not every fill up, but when I feel the truck needs a little pick up.

I don't use too many other additives, simply because I feel that most don't provide enough of a benefit for the cost of the additive, but others may have different results and reasons.

I would be curious to know myself what others use and why.

tigertank

ive been using dollar store ATF and PS fluid and its been working good for me runs quiet and seems to idle smoother and its a dollar a qt!!!

2w091

I was just curious to see if many experts here (and there are many:?) think the stuff actually works and is beneficial.

I was given a large bottle of Desl-Shok by a long time friends who operate a fleet of diesel charter fishing boats, they swear by it, saying it improved their fuel economy and maintenance costs. Because our HMMWV sits so much I was concerned about water/condensation in the tank and fuel, this stuff is specifically designed to get water out of the fuel in addition lubricating injectors and boosting cetane.
I'm a night shifter and listen to the American Trucking network a lot on the radio, the Motor Kote guy is a major sponsor and he is on there all the time, he makes a good argument for his product as well. Sometimes it seems to good to be true though.

Bill W

Nothing gets water out of a fuel tank.
If a additive states that then that just means there is a emulsifier ( usually alcohol ) added to it that mixes the water with the fuel where it then goes through your pump and injectors, I stay away from additives that state that. Most fuel filters can filter out "Free" water but emulsified will pass right through them. Power Service products use to advertise that their additives had de-emulsifiers in them to which it would treat both ( water/fuel ) without mixing them together, that is the additive of choice for me now and when I had my marine Fuel cleaning business ( 27 yrs )

2w091

I guess my statement about water in the fuel (and getting rid of it) was an oversimplification, I was aware of the emulsifier component, but not the filter issue. Again, there are many experts here, exactly why I posted.
Like I said, our 1025 sits most of the time with a nearly full fuel tank. I try to drive it once a week normally about seven miles, enough to get the engine up to operating temp and all the fluids flowing. Is condensation in the fuel an issue to be concerned with?

Bill W

I put about 200 miles a year on my deuce, I always keep the tank topped off ( I fill up on the way back in not on the way out ) and I also use Power Service "Diesel Kleen" along with some Stanadyne, My primary filter ( converted to 15 micron spin on ) was installed about 5 yrs ago and my secondaries are about 6 yrs old.