• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil heater

Dmoser

Just bought an arctic fox oil pan heater due to toe cold climate. i was told by my parts guy at work that 10 minutes should be sufficient to heat the oil enough for a smooth crank over, however turns out that doesn't seem to be the case. is there a point where it becomes dangerous to leave the heater on too long and if so, what is it?

flyxpl

I don't think it could be left on too long . 10 minutes will do very little though . I would geuss an hour or two , but preferably plugged in after use to keep the oil warm until you use the truck again .

Gunner0311

I use the style that you install on the bottom of the oil pan(Wolverine brand) and in
cold weather(under 20 F) i give it several hours to do the job well. in very cold
temps(single digits and colder) I leave it plugged in overnight and it does not cause
any problem.

With the M52A2 I recently aquired I switched to Mobil 5W40 diesel motor oil in an
attempt to help things and get oil to the valves quicker when starting. I will drive the 5-Ton more than mu dueces this winter because 1. Has a Hard Top 2. Power
Steering and 3. Higher ground clearance with the 1100x20 tires....

:driver:

bushhawg73

According to the artic fox web site the heaters, when properly installed they may be operated continuously and typical operation time is 3 to 5 hours. It also talks of setting them up on a timer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks