• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil in coolant advice needed

CUCVmike

I have oil in my coolant not coolant in my oil which started late this summer. I probably haven't driven it a few thousand miles since an overhaul last winter. I have disconnected the oil cooler lines from the radiator to make sure the radiator isn't taking in oil from the oil cooler. I replaced all seals and gaskets and installed a banks turbo last winter. I installed based on what I read online the GM coolant tabs in the radiator when I put it in service last winter. I'm still getting oil in the reservoir tank with the oil cooler lines disconnected. I installed 6.5 head gaskets and ARP studs.

I've removed the radiator cap and given it full throttle and no coolant spews out the top of the radiator. Could the coolant tabs make the reservoir get oily looking but the radiator has fluid that still looks like it was just installed from the bottle? Could the turbo be causing some of this? I've never been hot rodding it.

I'm about to put a NV4500 in this winter and wondering if I should just pull the motor again and inspect the heads. I have 37" hummer tires and a 6" lift along with the banks turbo exhaust it may just be easier to pull the motor with the ARP studs installed. Don't know if I have a small crack in the head? I'd love to hear for you guys what you'd do or what to try next.

Drock

I think you posted about this before? I suggest before you go tearing apart the engine check for the cheap and or simple solutions first. Are you sure it's oil and not trans fluid? Sense disconnecting the oil lines have you THOROUGHLY flushed the cooling system? You may just be seeing residual oil making it's way to the surface from all the nooks and crannies of the cooling system. Have you done a compression test on the motor? Have you done a leak down test on the radiator?

Last edited:

cucvrus

Before you get wild. Check the engine oil cooler in the radiator. Just disconnect the oil cooler lines and put a little air pressure into the cooler . It should blow bubbles into the radiator if the cooler is ruptured. Don't go wild with the pressure. I just had one do that last winter. It was a real task getting all the oil out of the cooling system with a new radiator in place. flushed it several times till it was clean.

CUCVmike

I've got the oil cooler lines off for a free weeks now It's not as oily in the reservoir tank with them disconnected but still dirty. I'll try to clean it out another time or two and give it some more time to see. I don't have a way to pressure test or do a compression test.

the skull

Can you get a cooling system tester from Autozone/Advance Auto parts?
We got a rent and return program up here, when you return the tool
you get your $ back

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks