• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil in exhaust pipe

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Seems the best advice on SS is to take that thing and put
two tons in the back and go drive it hard for a couple of whiles,
then home and unload and check everything.
They were built to run and do a job, not sit around.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's really oil dripping then suspect oil leak from exhaust side of turbo cartridge. Wet stacking spits fuel.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do not like to idle. Idle time and short hops will lead to oil oit the exhaust. Do like stated above, run it hard....they like it!

rustystud

If it's really oil dripping then suspect oil leak from exhaust side of turbo cartridge. Wet stacking spits fuel.
No, it's more like a oil mix. What happens when it "wet stacks" is it washes down the cylinder walls taking the oil with it out the exhaust. Then when it exits the turbo the oil settles on the pipe and then leaks through the joint. A lot of turbo's have been needlessly rebuilt due to wet stacking.
Just take the truck out with a good load and run it hard for about an hour or two. This will help reseal the rings and burn out all the caked on oil.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would cause oil drip's from excaust pipe by the joint by air cleaner??
Guess the question would be does there seem to be a excessive amount of the fuel oil /engine oil mix leaking.
Seems like the wet stacking is more common in generators that run longer times without a load as to our trucks.
Of course there would be more unburnt fuel while we warm up the truck and limber the oil but myself five to maybe ten minutes in cold weather. Another question how is the truck running and is there excessive smoke or unburnt fuel out of the stack while your running? Could a bad injector not atomizing throw to much unburnt fuel oil in the exhaust and making the mix you see? Also could a leaking flame heater be putting extra fuel into the system? Could keeping the radiator covered in cold weather to help hold the engine temps closer to what they should be. When I ran my dump truck plowing snow for the state I had to keep the whole radiator closed off to keep the correct engine temps. Seems like correct engine temps are very important to for correct burn and even more so if your fuel has been turned up.

Last edited:

rustystud

Guess the question would be does there seem to be a excessive amount of the fuel oil /engine oil mix leaking.
Seems like the wet stacking is more common in generators that run longer times without a load as to our trucks.
Of course there would be more unburnt fuel while we warm up the truck and limber the oil but myself five to maybe ten minutes in cold weather. Another question how is the truck running and is there excessive smoke or unburnt fuel out of the stack while your running? Could a bad injector not atomizing throw to much unburnt fuel oil in the exhaust and making the mix you see? Also could a leaking flame heater be putting extra fuel into the system? Could keeping the radiator covered in cold weather to help hold the engine temps closer to what they should be. When I ran my dump truck plowing snow for the state I had to keep the whole radiator closed off to keep the correct engine temps. Seems like correct engine temps are very important to for correct burn and even more so if your fuel has been turned up.
Actually it isn't too hard to wet stack our multifuel engines. I've wet stacked mine a few times. In the winter I don't drive it much, but I do start it up and let it run for a while. That really isn't all that good for our diesels. They need a load. I do it to just make sure there isn't any leaks, the batteries are fully charged up and the brake booster is exercised. Then in the spring I take it out and make it grunt !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree if you don't take them out and get the engine oil and water temps up it would happen. Myself if I start it I run it, if I don't have time to run it down the road they sit till I do. I always thought that not bringing the oil/water temps up to correct temps is bad for any motor. Does not burn off moisture just adds more so no short time shut downs no long idle times.
I am so anal when I start my GMC 3500 she does not even get shut down when I am fueling up. One thing nice about the 3500 she goes to high idle when the computer sees low air temps to get the heat up faster. With the Deuce I don't think I would spend the time to load /unload 2 tons in the bed but I do just keep the rpm up at all times using just the gears. Wonder if the OP's engine is even coming up to temp.

Last edited:

rustystud

Agree if you don't take them out and get the engine oil and water temps up it would happen. Myself if I start it I run it, if I don't have time to run it down the road they sit till I do. I always thought that not bringing the oil/water temps up to correct temps is bad for any motor. Does not burn off moisture just adds more so no short time shut downs no long idle times.
I am so anal when I start my GMC 3500 she does not even get shut down when I am fueling up. One thing nice about the 3500 she goes to high idle when the computer sees low air temps to get the heat up faster. With the Deuce I don't think I would spend the time to load /unload 2 tons in the bed but I do just keep the rpm up at all times using just the gears. Wonder if the OP's engine is even coming up to temp.
I do run mine until it gets to operating temperature. The problem is the engine is running with out any load. Just fast idling. It keeps the transmission oiled ( no rust forming on the gears) and transfer-case also ( transfer-case in neutral ! ) the brakes operating, and lets me see any leaks that might have developed. In a gas engine this practice causes no harm at all. Just uses fuel. In a diesel it can cause wet-stacking though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks