• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil in Radiator?

kstate90

I posted about a 800 series truck with the NHC Cummins we're building that had an issue with the power steering sector and pump. I picked up a good sector and power steering pump two weekends ago. My mechanic was in the process of removing the radiator so he could get to the front bolt and noticed that the radiator had oil in it. We are assuming it is the oil cooler so I ordered one today and hope to get it tommorrow. Is there anything else that it could be? We have not been able to put this truck into service because of the power steering issue. Hope to get it fixed tommorrow night and get it on the line. He did get the sector and pump installed and it solved the steering issues we were having.

Last edited:

kstate90

My mechanic mentioned that also. Hoping it is the cooler. Truck starts and runs great so I didn't think about a head gasket. In fact it starts better than the one I drive. He said if it was liners it would be the other way. So hope for the best. It hadn't put enough in the radiator yet to boil over the overflow so we probably got lucky on catching it.

Ord22

its more likely that its the oil cooler. its made for the coolant to keep the temp down on the oil. either the oil element or the seals have gone bad. keep us posted, thanks.

Kalashnikov

I have the same issue. Supposedly the copper seals under the injectors need to be replaced. Altho I don't recall there being copper seal and it required machining to reseal. I replaced my injectors due to an unrelated issue and it seem to greatly reduce the amount of oil seepage and possibly cure the problem. I still had to flush my system so the oil I drained may have been what was left. I haven't had a chance to finishing tracking it down and the truck has been sitting.

kstate90

My mechanic was supposed to work on it tonight. I will post in the morning the results. Hope it is the cooler. Need this truck in the field ASAP. I will post some pictures of it also. It turned out pretty nice.