• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil in the bearings: Opinions wanted.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't think the seal would have enough bore to seat in
See my drawing here, now updated with seal #s commercially available.

That "modern" seal would have to be located - not in the hub itself, but in the attached drum center plate (after machining to 120mm).

Not sure if reinventing THIS "wheel" makes much sense at all...:?

G.

Attachments

F18hornetM

Great drawing and idea. But for me, probably not worth all the effort. Maybe if I used them commercially might be. Still, good idea though.

mistaken1

After reading everything here it sounds like wet hubs would be the way to go but these machines were not designed for that.

Anyhow I checked the oil in the differential and is was just barely running out so I drained it down a little to where it reads 1/2" below the bottom of the fill hole.

Then I ran all new axle vents up to the engine compartment where I used a fuel filter for the breather element.

Took it for a drive around the block (several miles). Tried not to use the brakes so I could check hub temps. The re-greased hub was running 7 to 10 degrees higher than the others (125 versus 118 ). I torqued the inner nut to 50ftlbs and then backed off 1/8 of a turn. Perhaps it should be looser or perhaps the clean brake drum and clean pads added a little more hear to that unit than the others.

Then I pulled the opposite side. Same as before, the cork was stuck with grease on the shaft housing nowhere near the key way. There was oil in the hub but no leakage out. There was more grease in these bearings but still washed out.

I made a wooden hub support that will set on my jack so I could pull/install the hub by myself (thanks turbovr6jetta). After cleaning and repacking with the red JT-6 grease I did the same thing on this driver's side; inner nut to 50ftlbs then backed off 1/8 of a turn. I will finish getting the wheels back on go for another test drive to check hub temperatures this morning.

I need to order more locking washers and check the back set.

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some this way, i had to machine a new seal surface on the spindle and bolted the seal on. This will not work with the stock drum brakes and only on the rear. These were used in coal mine cars, some of the most sever conditions.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks