• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak fixed

toddm

The gasket on the bottom of my air compressor has been leaking for awhile, I finally ordered a gasket for it and installed it this morning. All three belts were not in very good shape anymore, so I went ahead and ordered those also. Good thing I had my son to help me ( his hands are a lot smaller than mine) and he always is a lot more patient than me. A crows foot is mandatory for removing the compressor, it was not too bad of a job. I think it took about an hour and a half total.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you buy the gasket? Do you have a part number? If you used any gasket sealant at all, I hope you were very careful NOT to get anything in that small oil hole. If that hole gets plugged, you'll have a compressor failure for sure.

toddm

I bought it from Memphis Equipment, I think it was around $7 plus shipping. I remember about the use of sealant though, thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HAHA! I just did this same thing to mine last weekend! I made my own gasket though. My truck even has the same injector line clamp dangling because there is no support on the single piston pump for it(just on the dual piston).

Motorcar

Sorry to revive an old post but I did mine the other day and had a couple of things to add for any future search on the subject.

Gasket was OEM and got it from Erik's, $4 plus shipping. It was very helpful to remove the three bolts on the upper radiator support bracket, and remove the bracket which gives more room to work on the belt pulley and compressor mounting studs/nuts. It is possible to loosen/tighten the two piece belt pulley without the special comp. wrench often seen. A LARGE pair of channel locks will work on the front pulley with a smaller pair holding the back. Loosen counter-clockwise...righty tighty, lefty loosey. I was also able to remove the comp. without a crows foot 11/16 but it would have been nice. This was also a great time to check the bolts on the mounting bracket to the side of the block while the comp. was off.

I found that the old gasket really hadn't failed as much as the sorry RTV sealant and poor job of install by the last mechanic that put in the rebuilt comp. some time back. The mounting nuts were not tight on the front side at all, just snug. A warranty sticker on the air compressor base by the manufacturer said to torque the nuts to 35-45 ft pounds or leaks may occur and void warranty. It all went together nicely after a clean up.

Hope this helps with the next fellow wondering about attempting the task.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks