• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak from dash of M923.

aspann

I'm new to the 5-tons and just received a M923. It has an oil leak at the frontwheel drive lock-in switch. I understand the two lines going to it are airlines. The oil doesn't appear to be motor oil. I have checked the TM's until I'm crosseyed but can't find the answer. The light comes on when the switch is operated. Any help would be appreciated.

Cycletek

Have you drained your air tanks lately? How much oil came out with the air, if any? Might be because the truck was sitting and it passed a little oil at startup........

aspann

I have drained the tanks several times and have not noticed any oil. However, it does take longer for the air pressure to build up than I think it should. The air seems to need build up after setting for 45 minutes or so. It was recently driven about 200 miles from Huntsville to here but not by me. The oil smells like transfer case oil.

Last edited:

123mack

I saw this happen once with a M35A2. The transfer case had been filled level with the fill plug when cold. After driving, the fluid got hot and expanded. The exhaust side tube of the air switch acted as a capillary tube, conducting fluid up into the cab. We drained the transfer case fluid down to about two knuckles below the filler hole. No more problems. Also check the breathers on the transfer. They can become blocked just like the ones on the axles.

aspann

Thanks 123mack, I'll check the tranfer case oil level. I have checked the breathers and they look new. Again, thanks alot.
Thanks to all that replied.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks