• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OIL leak from Fording Plug Hole..?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned 2 Deuces and not one of them ever did leak oil from the Fording plug hole. Before I went on my 1,480 mile trip I had a recommended Maintenance Company do a complete oil/filter change. Also a full lube job.

I just drove from Fla to GA and I did not have a leak at the plug hole. When I left Ga to Michigan on the second fuel stop I noticed a pancake size oil drip after the truck sat for an hour. I am told thats normal when you drive long distances. At every fuel stop I checked the oil level and was full each time.

Keep in mind I always kept the RPM at an average of 2100-2300 never to exceed 2300 constant, she purred along at 53 Mph on flat land.

My question is;

Is this normal and after time would this affect the operation of the clutch....? Can someone please explain to me the purpose of why this happends...?

maxim

1. The main seal on the engine is of questionable age and after 20-30 years it is beginning to show some wear and ability to seal. As there is some where around 22 quarts in the engine, the loss of 1/4 cup may not show up on the dipstick.

2. The transmission was a bit over filled and heat from a long trip causes the fluid to expand and leak out the input shaft, dripping on the clutch, picking up debris, turning black and running down out the fording plug hole. This would have shown up right away though.

3. For a M35 to have minor leaks to me, is normal.

4. Too much on the clutch will effect clutch engagement. Several methods to clean it can be used, perhaps brake cleaner.

You may find with short runs it may not leak at all, and 1,500 miles in a deuce, I applaud you and the truck if this is all that happened.

Darwin T

on my first recovery the rear main seal leaked on the clutch and the truck would not move until i let it cool down. had rear main seal and clutch replaced and it works great now. i have a question though, whick plug is the fording plug?? :drool:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. The main seal on the engine is of questionable age and after 20-30 years it is beginning to show some wear and ability to seal. As there is some where around 22 quarts in the engine, the loss of 1/4 cup may not show up on the dipstick.

2. The transmission was a bit over filled and heat from a long trip causes the fluid to expand and leak out the input shaft, dripping on the clutch, picking up debris, turning black and running down out the fording plug hole. This would have shown up right away though.

3. For a M35 to have minor leaks to me, is normal.

4. Too much on the clutch will effect clutch engagement. Several methods to clean it can be used, perhaps brake cleaner.

You may find with short runs it may not leak at all, and 1,500 miles in a deuce, I applaud you and the truck if this is all that happened.
I thank you for your time and effort in your explanation. I figured as much, Maybe it might behoove me to get the seal replaced. I hate to add an additive to the oil to seal a small leak. I call it putting perfume on a pig.

Thanks man. Don

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the response, the oil smelled like A//. Kinda like a septic smell. Why would that matter Gimp..?

Don

Because like said it is eather comming from rear main so it would be motor oil or the trans. Gear oil. If it's gear oil it might be over filled and you could also check the vent on top of the trans is clear. Sometimes when someone services a trans they use a power filler and they put the plug back in when realy it is over filled.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks for the response, the oil smelled like A//. Kinda like a septic smell. Why would that matter Gimp..?

Don
If it smelled like azz, my bet is trans gear oil. If you were to see a deuce flywheel, you could see why it would be hard for engine oil to contact the clutch. Taste it and that will tell you which it is.

A

A/C Cages

Hmmmmm? Sounds like everyone agreed with what I told you earlier you doof. lol
Remember thats a new trans right???
Long long trip on that new trans more then likely heated her up and overflowed.
Unlike your other deuces, this one is a huge air blocking wall rolling down the street.
I know that Oddball had it done correctly. And Gimpy was correct, if it smells like swampazz its probably trans oil.
What? you didnt taste it too? oh come on, you tasted Zouts cherry juice. lol

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/C Cages
Zouts Cherry Juice Rocked, Azz on the other hand is a different bear all together. I will check the top vent and make sure its clear. In all fairness, I figure I had 4000 lbs of sh?t in the M109, pulling a double axel deuce box trailer with an Argo in it, 2 battery chargers, 8 new tires with rims, 8 sets of camo, etc.......

I think going through the mountains was a break in period for her. I never went over 2300 RPM

I think I did well and I got an AMAZING truck, Chris " ODDBALL" did me a solid on this deal. I like Chris he is an excellent host, lives in a PALACE, and a fun guy to hang with for a few days.

Troy a man who works with me is a carpenter and we went today looking at double tong and groove cedar to sleeve the interior out and build a double log bunk bed on the back wall. I will post pics of the next level Oddball Express transformation.

DeuceIsLoose

I had the same issue and looked at replacing the rear main seal. Then I bought some Lucas oil stop leak (the stuff is like maple syrup). I put that in and ran it for about 20 miles--never leaked again--I was amazed.

A

A/C Cages

I was just giving you a hard time Don since you also dont know how to call at 9pm when you said you would..lol
I guess being up in that thin MI air is making you forgetfull? lol
You better post those pics of the transformation. I would love to see it.
It was a hard long trip for her and a little oil leak isnt anything for these trucks. Ive seen them go thru worse and pull thru.
So when are you coming back to FL? I had more ribs again tonight.
I can tell you this much, Its too cold for me to go up there.

A

A/C Cages

MI Island... no wayyyyyy
St Croix Island,,,, im there already, lol
By the way, check even the trailer bearings after the deuces after that long trip.
Lube is your best friend.
Deuceisloose is correct in that Lucas oil treatment. I even use it in my Hummer and Tahoe let alone my sandrails. Heck I even use it im my JohnDeere mower.

So when is the warm island trip going to be? Notice I said WARM and not ice cold MI trip. lol

A

A/C Cages

I just fell on the floor laughing my butt off, oxygen hose came off, tank fell over. and coughed up a lung... In the bug out forum I said I wanted dehyrated Pepsi.. You got to see what Marcel put on there... Im still laughing.

As for Xmas, Im there since my inlaws come here for xmas.... They come, I leave,,, I like those ideas.. whooohoooo

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it smelled like azz, my bet is trans gear oil. If you were to see a deuce flywheel, you could see why it would be hard for engine oil to contact the clutch. Taste it and that will tell you which it is.
Yea right, Taste it. I may be a tad bit green but not a fool. I found the problem. The top breather element/plug/fixture or what ever you call it was covered in a base ball size mud wasp nest. I would say it was plugged. Thanks for all your help.

Don

A

A/C Cages

Were you too buzzzzzyyyyy to check that before you left? lol
Ok you can tell im bored waiting on being released hopefully today before dinner.
Glad you found the reason and it was something simple. But then again most problems with these trucks are simple...
Look at me checking everything trying to find out why I was having a fuel problem,,,, Oops forgot to check the first simple thing there... The fuse..... Yup it was the fuse! Hours later!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks