• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak - how serious is it?

20140814_174929.jpg20140814_174945.jpg

Noticed the oil leak on top of the engine near the firewall. Should this be a major concern, or do you guys think it's just a valve cover gasket? Any guesses? I am looking at buying the deuce, but wondering if the leak is minor or not.

20140814_174929.jpg20140814_174945.jpg

welldigger

Looks like it's just a valve cover gasket. If that's the case it's no big deal. Granted like rayzer said it's hard to tell from just looking at the picture.

I don't see it being cause for alarm. Crank it up. If oil isn't pouring out of somewhere then I'd buy it if that's the only issue noticed.

It ran good, sounded good, drove good, and looked pretty good for a 40+ year old deuce. The only other seepage was around the oil pan, which isn't a huge deal. I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Thanks for your inputs!

welldigger

It ran good, sounded good, drove good, and looked pretty good for a 40+ year old deuce. The only other seepage was around the oil pan, which isn't a huge deal. I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Thanks for your inputs!
If it makes you feel any better my Deuces engine seeps oil from a few places. I drive mine HARD. Well, at least I did. It's currently in pieces waiting to get a paint job.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The most common statement made about a deuce is, I'd be more worried If it didn't leak.

Good luck on getting one and joining the "Family".

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not see anything worrisome in the pictures, but I would plan on some extended preventive maintenance and care. The secondary fuel filters look as if they had not been touched in a long time...consider tossing them and the primary for a more modern spin-on setup (read up in the forum). The coolant hoses look swollen and perhaps leaky (last pic it looks as if there was a cut on the hose) - these and the rad hoses should be replaced. Might as well flush the cooling system while you have it open.

Leak-wise, the oil leak at the rear of the engine does indeed look like a valve cover leak. You will want to pop the valve coves off, toss the old gaskets and check (and set, when necessary) valve clearance on a new-to-you engine. The gaskets are thick rubber and do not like overtorqued valve cover bolts.

Good luck with your purchase!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks