• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak on front of engine

Crazyls2

I have had a pretty significant amount of oil dripping from my engine since getting back to Charleston. Yesterday with the help of a friend I found a crack on the front of the engine. I attached a photo for reference. The purple arrow points towards the part. I made a red mark where the crack is. My friend is saying he feels like the pump (or whatever that is) appears to be heavy and he thinks the bracket securing it to the block might have come loose. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Attachments

Crazyls2

Does anyone by chance know what the piece is called that the power steering pump and air pump are mounted to? As best I understood from earlier responses that is what this area is. The Crack runs all around that pump. I am trying to figure out if it is better to just replace the piece or JB Weld it

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My 10 year old got to turn wrenches today. So far seems to have been a success. Heading to tractor supply now to get fluids.
That's Great! You are raising the next generation of MV enthusiast and him helping turn wrenches is really good.
Congratulations. So dad... Now that I am working on the truck... Can I drive it now? Huh? Can I dad!?
:cool:

Crazyls2

That's Great! You are raising the next generation of MV enthusiast and him helping turn wrenches is really good.
Congratulations. So dad... Now that I am working on the truck... Can I drive it now? Huh? Can I dad!?
:cool:
He asked to drive it through our neighborhood tonight. So did my 7 year old daughter. My son is 10 and he can drive a very wide variety of motorized things. Skidsteers, excavators, tractors, motorcycles, and a long list of other things. You should have seen the look on his mom's face the day she pulled up and he was driving my Chevy 2500 using it to pull a tree from the front of my house.

Crazyls2

All is not roses, the Permetex didn't hold. It is still leaking, just not as bad as before. I might have to find a replacement part for the thing the pump mounts to or take my part to a machine shop and have it repaired. This problem has been a real kick in the pants.

We did find a way to remove the bracket that required much less cursing than the way we removed it the first time. I am not looking forward to tearing all that back apart but round 2 should go much quicker.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All is not roses, the Permetex didn't hold. It is still leaking, just not as bad as before. I might have to find a replacement part for the thing the pump mounts to or take my part to a machine shop and have it repaired. This problem has been a real kick in the pants.

We did find a way to remove the bracket that required much less cursing than the way we removed it the first time. I am not looking forward to tearing all that back apart but round 2 should go much quicker.
What is cracked is called the timing cover. It’s a BIG job to replace it. Best solution is to find a welder who can do this type of field repair on aluminum. It’s just a terrible design if that bracket comes loose.

Crazyls2

What is cracked is called the timing cover. It’s a BIG job to replace it. Best solution is to find a welder who can do this type of field repair on aluminum. It’s just a terrible design if that bracket comes loose.
Thank you for the input. I might have caught a break. I checked this morning and I am not so sure it is leaking again. The name of the part is a big help as well.

It did look to be a big job

coachgeo

Thank you for the input. I might have caught a break. I checked this morning and I am not so sure it is leaking again. The name of the part is a big help as well.

It did look to be a big job
unfortunately it has been discussed here and elsewhere that this timing cover is NOT the same as the one on the 3116 used in commercial trucks. So you do have to get a cover designed for the 3116 AND these trucks. You are likely better off to have the one you have repaired due to scarcity of the one you need..... and the cost that scarcity creates.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still searching the forum for the fan hub issue. I am going to need to look at the fan tomorrow because it has stopped working. Will continue to try and find the topic.
You should read through the docs here in my signature.

The fan hub "issue" that people talk about is that the rubber ring in the old style fan hub can fail, and the fan will damage the radiator. The military eventually switched to a different fan, with a solid sheet metal center (but switching to it either requires also switching to the new style matching fan clutch, or modifying the new fan to fit the old clutch).

While either the oil line or fan clutch failures can cause problems, they aren't as big of emergencies to replace preventatively as people make it seem. They do fail sometimes, but you only hear about the ones that fail... not the tens-of-thousands that are running fine. To start, just check them, and make sure everything looks like it's in good shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks