• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil leak out of exhaust pipe

jmh4x4

This was going to be a post about an oil leak coming from the exhaust pipe, that i noticed while i have been in the process of flushing the coolant sytstem. But low and behold, some one already asked the question, and it was answered - idling to long leeds to slobering oil.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/13150-oil-exhaust-manifold.html

anyways, Im onto the 10th flush cycle and I can't believe how dirty the rinse water still is. The antifreeze always looked great durring my pre-drive look overs, but I never checked it right after a run, did that last weekend, oh my!!.

so I've spent the last 4 days flushing the crap out of it, hopefully by tonight, it will be good to go. I've left some samples settle overnight and there is no oil sheen, so that made my day.

Moral of the story, if you got a truck out of GL, and you hadnt flushed the system yet, DO IT.

here are some pictures of the rinse water on the 8th go around.

Attachments

Nonotagain

Prestone used to sell a two part flush which consisted of an acid component and a neutrailzer that always worker well for me.

The only issue using this flush is that you can't leave it in too long or you will end up having to install a waterpump since it will take the seals out with all the crud.

Prestone discontinued this product when aluminum heads became the norm on automobiles.

The currect Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner is designed to remain in the system for 6 hours or so before flushing and refilling with new coolant and water.

jmh4x4

I might try getting a cleaning agent, after 15 flushings I thought I had her about done, took it out for a spin to clean the stank out of her, came back and drained the system and it looked almost as bad as when i started. Im hesitant in using anything to harsh as it appears the water pump, (including most the engine) looks original, no rebuild stamp on the engine, probably wont take much to eat the seals.

I picked up CAT engine antifreeze, it has all the goodies in it.

how clean is 'clean enough'? I'm assuming a little discoloration would be ok.

tiger422

Put the water hose in the filler neck and open the rad. drain and let it idle till all is clean.
I would worry about putting flush in it and breaking things loose that could eat the seals.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well that is what we get when we buy a truck at discount rates from GL, sight unseen.. If you buy from a SS member it should not look like this, but it will be a little more $$$$. Now I know this violates the "Frodo 10 dollar profit rule" but I do not care. I spend 20 -30 hours with every truck that I buy and sell. I know that if someone rides away it is SAFE!! That is what counts.

frodobaggins

Now I know this violates the "Frodo 10 dollar profit rule" but I do not care.
Nice jab there. Too bad you didn't read the rest of the thread where I explained what I meant.

I'm sorry if I offended you antankersdad.
I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't take pot shots at me in non-related threads.

Kevin

jmh4x4

firestone - thats a great idea. :-D

now how did my measly little post get sucked into wheel-gate 2009!

disclaimer - I by no means claim to be an expert in coolant flushing and will not comment on how much it should cost in flushing a coolant system.

Barrman

I drained my coolant Friday afternoon thinking I would spend about an hour changing the lower hose, the belts, adding heater outlets and putting in new coolant. The black goo that came out scared me and then the next 3 hours were taken up with changing that stupid lower hose and pulling the alternator to put the heater valves on. I think I am on flush number 5 or 6 now. I even drove it 50 miles, opened the drain after it cooled some and let a hose run for a few hours while I worked on Boxcar's M35 with him. Did it a few more times yesterday as well. By the last time, it was dirty water compared to black goo so progress is being made. Once it becomes clean, the coolant filter will get hooked up and the system filled with the proper fluid.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lower hose holds tons of spooge. If you really want it cleaned out, you have to flush the radiator with the lower hose off, even better with the rad on the ground. Also there is a block drain near the starter. Once you flush individual components you can refill the system with water and add about a half gallon of CLR and run it for about 15 minutes then flush again and again. I'd even add a few tsps of baking soda in one of the flushes. That should get you pretty well flushed out!