• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leak, Passenger Side of Engine.

ssdvc

I am unable to crawl around my truck for a few more weeks, but I think I have some oil drips coming from the passenger side of the engine. I think the leak is higher up, near the firewall and engine head area. Any guesses?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am unable to crawl around my truck for a few more weeks, but I think I have some oil drips coming from the passenger side of the engine. I think the leak is higher up, near the firewall and engine head area. Any guesses?
Maybe a head gasket? Get a flashlight warm up the engine and check all around the heads. If they are seeping you will be able to see it. It could be leaking at the rear of the head or on top.

cucvrus

Maybe a head gasket? Get a flashlight warm up the engine and check all around the heads. If they are seeping you will be able to see it. It could be leaking at the rear of the head or on top.
I hope you mean valve cover gasket. Many things to leak up top. Vacuum pump, sending unit, valve covers. But yes, oil leaks are hard to find. Not always. I would pull the engine and change all the gaskets if it were bad enough.

Keith_J

No pressurized oil goes through the head gasket. Oil from the pump goes through the oil cooler in the right radiator tank. The oil returns to the filter, then it enters the rear main bearing web and from there splits off to each lifter bank. Oil for valves rises to the rockers through the push rods.

There are plugs in the back of the block for the lifter banks but these don't corrode unlike coolant core plugs. A cracked block is more likely than leaking gallery plugs.

Check the CDR system for function and leaks. Mine drips due to a weak clamp..I'm working on it now.

ssdvc

The leak is down to a few drips right now, but still buggin the crap out of me. I made sure that the vacuum pump was locked down when I changed it and there is no oil from there. CDR has been replaced, pipes cleaned and system has been put back together and is tight. I will try and have a friend of mine come over this weekend and check the oil sender (top rear of passenger head?) and the valve cover for leaks.

Rick, I know I'll be chasing my tail on this (and you did forewarn me) but I would love to try and plug most of the leaks before I start driving her regularly again.

nyoffroad

I'm thinking along the lines of valve cover gasket or maybe even a small fuel leak from the filter and picking up dirt and undercoating on the way down.

ssdvc

Zero fuel leaks, but thanks for the suggestion. I have a buddy coming over next weekend and we will pull the batteries and try and see if we can spot the leak. I have this one and the rears trans/transfer case output seal left. I am hoping to be drip free, at least for a little while, in a few weeks. Then a new full exhaust, maybe some paint and 32" BFG's in the fall. With all the work done, or going to be done, this is going to be one hell of a good lookin and great running 09 (if I do say so myself !) !

cucvrus

If you wait till next summer I will have a slightly used Chevrolet crew cab Trail Boss For Sale. 2024 is the end of my 5 year plan on this truck. Going electric as soon as I can.

ssdvc

LOL !! Thanks for the offer. As you know, my wife would support that buy, as she really doesn't like my truck. Me, I really like my 1009 and plan to drive it just a bit more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks