• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak

ah1955

Last weekend I took the deuce for a ride then took it up to the shop to keep it inside overnight Sat. pulled it out Sun. to paint it, then then put it back in the shop till Mon. morning when I parked it outside, No oil spots on shop floor after all weekend.
Wed. I thought I'd use the truck to go for lunch(more fun then using my pick up)went about a mile up the road to the store,was in store about 5 min. came out a saw a puddle of oil under the truck, checked under hood, quick look found around oil filter can was wet mostly around the front one.
Have not had time to check out real close,at first I thought oil filter can gaskets but they have not been disterbed for a while a had not been leaking before,
My question is can or do they just start leaking or is there an oil line in that area that could have sprunk a leak. Thanks

acetomatoco

expansion and contraction cause leaks often... loosten the can a little and turn it around a couple of times and retorque. May help.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm..don't turn the canister on the gasket it will be distorted, should be in the TM, but isn't. Lift the canister off , wipe clean and install with pressure on the canister so as not to let it turn on the gasket while tightening...

The gasket should compensate for temperature expansion/contractions when canister hold-down bolt is torqued correctly.

jatonka

If you're going to pull the cannisters, how about my spin-on oil filter adaptors? This is the time to change over. John Tennis PS, actually, the oil filter gaskets are heavy fiber type and fit into a recess in the original filter base and won't be distorted by turning a loose filter cannister on them. The magor leak problem occurs when the filter cannister is bolted down without being PERFECTLY centered on the filter base. More knowledeable people, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. JT out

ah1955

jatonka, just reread the article in Military Vehicles Mag.about the spin on adapters don't see anything about cost or where to get the adapters, I can get Baldwin no problem. Would be interrested in switching over no only for gasket issue but I like idea of quicker oil pressue pick-up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks