• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil leak

AECS

recently replaced the oil cooler lines and did an oil and filter change. I know have a monster oil leak. As in 2 quarts over 50 miles and can see the trail of oil on the road monster leak. Crawl under and it appears to be at the oil filter/engine block mating surface. Replaced oil filter and same thing. double checked line tightness and all looks good. Any ideas?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
recently replaced the oil cooler lines and did an oil and filter change. I know have a monster oil leak. As in 2 quarts over 50 miles and can see the trail of oil on the road monster leak. Crawl under and it appears to be at the oil filter/engine block mating surface. Replaced oil filter and same thing. double checked line tightness and all looks good. Any ideas?
Clean everything and then start the engine and look for the leak?

diesel583

Check the oil lines real good, I had a new one crack at the block fitting and lost an engine before I got it shut down. I when to a hose shop and had a set made out of 300psi hose. Several years now and no problems.

AECS

I pulled the oil filter, the matting surface is good, I put on another and it the same. I start it and look and it looks like it is seeping from the filter. I see the pan gasket right next to it, but that is not pressurized and the oil level should not be that high anyway. I am going to have to look closer at the lines above the filter. That is the only logical thing.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the oil filter, the matting surface is good, I put on another and it the same. I start it and look and it looks like it is seeping from the filter. I see the pan gasket right next to it, but that is not pressurized and the oil level should not be that high anyway. I am going to have to look closer at the lines above the filter. That is the only logical thing.
With everything clean, look for leaks above the filter. Of course, pressurized oil can end up in places far from the actual leak, but if after running the engine the engine briefly there's a drop at a connection, that could very well be the source.
But if things are still dirty and oily, it could take a while to find the leak.

scottladdy

I see the pan gasket right next to it, but that is not pressurized and the oil level should not be that high anyway.
Oil is slung all over the place in an engine. In these engines for example, there are oil squirters that shoot oil up under the piston to coat and help cool the cylinder walls. This will run down the inside of the case, over the gasket (see where this is going) and then down into the pan.

So, while this may NOT be your issue I recommend not ruling anything out until you see the point of origin. Clean up the block as recommended and always work from high to low when finding the source of a leak. You can also get some dies which can be added to your motor oil which illuminate with a UV light source. I am hoping this leak is not that hard to track down that you would need this.

Ordak

I just had a similar problem with my 6.2, I would clean the oil filter after running it and there would be a snail trail of oil appearing to come down the oil filter. I drained the oil and checked the oil filter but it was not the filter. I checked the oil lines and they were tight. I decided to change the brass fittings going in engine block and it fixed the issue. There are no more oil leaks including around the oil filter. The fittings are about 12-20 bucks. Here is a link http://www.autozone.com/external-en...ine-oil-cooler-line-connector/209268_477913_0 My guess is they heated up and cooled enough to conform to the block and would not seal correctly after I took them out. Best of luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks