• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leak

Hi again guys,

Ok, the lack of my mechanical knowledge strikes again. I have a oil leak on the left, front side of my multi fuel motor. Its very obvious under heavy throttle pressure. My oil pressure hovers at about 7 lbs and doesn't change.

I've chased it down to the short line that feeds the injector pump I believe. I've attached a link to a photo I hope you guys can see. The line itself feels intact. However, I can actually rotate the rubber line on both fittings, it moves pretty freely but won't pull free. The fittings are tight...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yh1BQ_O-i2593nHA4B76IKYaQ2uM1DTi/view?usp=sharing
Its the oil line between the two yellow rings...

Does that sound right to you guys? The loose ends on the short line allows oil pressure to bleed out. And the increased throttle pressure would force the oil out either or both ends of the line... Is this a fix with a couple of hose clamps, or am I looking at having the entire short line replaced???

The oil line to the compressor looks and feels to be ok...

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions anyone???

Thanks again everyone!!!

Chris...

rustystud

Your oil pressure is 7 Ibs ? You need to stop driving this truck and fix your oil leak now !
You also need to read the "Operator Manual" so this doesn't happen again. You could have seriously damaged your engine !
Also that oil line must be replaced ! Never use "clamps" on any oil pressure line !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might try a mechanical oil pressure gage on the block. Bet you got more pressure than that. You might be able to cut the old line off with a razor knife but don't think you could work the line back on with what little room there is. Might try a crows foot wrench to get the line off then R&R the line.
Don't remember what mine looks like and don't know if push-lock / hose set up is the best fitting for there. Maybe someone can look at there IP and see if it has the same push lock fitting. Pic is one type of push lock fitting.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure if you try to replace the line you only use the pushlok hose. They are made to work together.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I have to replace those oil lube lines, I replace everything for braided stainless hose with stainless swivel fittings....once is enough having to replace those darn things.

But the advice above is the easiest to get you back on the road and not have to worry about breaking off the brass 45-degree fitting in the engine block....

rustystud

When I have to replace those oil lube lines, I replace everything for braided stainless hose with stainless swivel fittings....once is enough having to replace those darn things.

But the advice above is the easiest to get you back on the road and not have to worry about breaking off the brass 45-degree fitting in the engine block....
Totally agree. After having to dig out a busted 45-degree brass fitting on the block I went out and bought a "stainless steel" 45-degree fitting and used stainless steel PTFE hose. Has worked great ever since, and will out live my son ! My grandson will like that ! At least I hope he does.

Can someone point to the part of the repair manual that covers the R&R on the these oil lines??? I going to replace all the lines, I cant tell which one is bad. Problem is I don't know how many lines there are are where they go to. Some of them are pretty easy to figure out. But I don't know how many lines total there are.

I would guess at least one line to the compressor and one to the injector pump. Any return lines? All oil lines are black rubber right???

Thanks again guys!!!!

Chris...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The compressor is fed by an oil galley. When installing the compressor gasket we don't use any type of sealer that could block galley hole. No return lines. One oil feed line off block to IP plus the rear IP Tee fitting oil feed line and it drains back to pan through front cover. If your good in tight places you might be able to replace both IP oil feed lines with the IP in place if I remember right.
Are the IP oil lines leaking so bad as to loss of oil pressure? Myself I would get a mechanical oil gage and check if you do indeed only have 7psi of oil pressure and worry about the oil lines after that.

Last edited:
I had a really bad oil leak, which happened very quickly, somewhere in the area of the IP and the compressor. It could be a sticky oil gauge, it had been slow to pop up showing good oil pressure. Won't kill me to replace the oil lines and see what happens....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks