• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil leak

dobyg75

my buddy has an oil leak inside the cab where the 6x6 lever is is it supposed to have oil in it and how do i go about fixing it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That line "should" only have air running through it. Does he ever drain the air tanks? Could just be built up condensation.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, that line switches in the axle at the transfercase. I guess maybe the vent could be plugged and pushing the gasses back through the line. He is in for one hellofa treat if he tries to work on that switch in the Tcase. No room to move at all down there. Sounds like he needs to take it apart and do some cleaning. I don't envy him at all.

fulleraviation

Ha! Mine did the same thing! I cycled the switch several times and it cleaned itself out. Not doing it anymore. I wasnt sure if steep inclines and rough riding somehow contributed.

Air tanks clean and no gear oil smell. Not sure of the cause, and I know that most things dont fix themselves...Right now it's not an issue.

Just waiting on more stuff to break!

Rut

dobyg75

idk he lives on a mountain he engages the front axle on the road up so he doesn't distroy the road could this be a factor?

99nouns

Are you talking about this one?

T-Case.jpg

Wow This is what came out of above indicated coupling when I removed it.

IMAG0122.jpg

How it got there is a question of matter.

Last edited:

Dipstick

I just replaced my upper transfer case oil seal a few weeks ago and put new universals on the short shaft while I was at it. The new seal has started leaking. I should have inspected that darn vent while I had the covers off. I wonder if a non-functioning vent could cause the seal to leak? The top seal is well above the normal oil level in the transfer case.

skinnyR1

My truck has a leak coming from up on top of the transfer case as well. I can't see it from underneath the truck anyhow, so I intend to pull the in cab access panel to see what is going on.

skinnyR1

I suspect that my leak is from the transfer case vent. Is this a common occurrence?

Here is a picture from Hanks Deuce's website, that reflects where I think mine is leaking from. When I say "leak," it is just an oily mess on the transfer case, and a drop or two on my driveway.

Attachments

99nouns

I suspect that my leak is from the transfer case vent. Is this a common occurrence?Here is a picture from Hanks Deuce's website, that reflects where I think mine is leaking from. When I say "leak," it is just an oily mess on the transfer case, and a drop or two on my driveway.
AAAh my transfer case doesn't have a vent aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks