• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak

mattveeder

For the third time I've sprung an oil leak on one of the oil filter gaskets on my duce. I was wondering if this is a sign of over pressuer at the filter? I am sure that the filter housing is true and correctly tightned. A few years ago I ahd a m715 that would blow the gaskets out but I understand why it did. I guess the big question is this just bad luck or a sign of a larger problem.

hoop

Are you useing the largest gasket that comes with the filters? It looks to large but it fits into a recessed grove it the filter base.

mattveeder

I have been using the largest gaskets in the kit. But I was unaware that they needed 65 ft pounds so I'll have to go torque them and see. As for spin on filters I honestly had not thought about them so it looks like I'll get the kit for the next oil change.

tco3129

Mine did the same though not immediately. I changed the oil one evening, started and checked for leaks - none. Next morning I drove to work and saw a little oil puddle when I parked. I was 1 1/2 gallons short. The mile and half to my house had a nice black streak in the road.

SMOKEWAGON66

At least if its leaking you know it has oil in it!
lol..If I had a dollar for everytime a mechanic told me that. Even helicotper crew cheifs would say that. I remember a crew cheif in AK told me as we were boarding a UH-47 Chinook, that if I didnt see duct tape anywhere inside, or some sort of oil leaking not to fly in it. Thankfully i saw the duct tape holding the panel insulation up lol....and about halfway back on our 100 mile venture at tree top level, said crew cheif came back near the rear cargo door on the left side and was putting oil in something while we were flying :shock:.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the same issue with my deuce. Changed oil and filters, test ran, no leaks. When I started it a couple of weeks later (about 34 degrees F.) it dropped about a quart or two under the drivers side. Looks like it came out of the filters, but after it burped this oil, it quit leaking. Carrying about 60-65 psi on the oil gage. I figured it might be a combination of filter canister not tight enough and cold oil? Using DELO 400, 30 weight oil. I had to go off to work, so just shut it down till I can do more troubleshooting. I have read several old threads about spin on filter conversions. Are there any updates on the best conversion, steel vs. aluminum, upright vs. hanging, ones that spin off without dumping a load of oil, etc. etc. I am looking for a conversion that the members have tried and like.