• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leaking from high gear transfer switch 1990 M923a2

GI Jay

Just picked up a nice 1990 M923a2 had it shipped to Davenport Ny drove it back to Schenectady Ny last Sat 3/24/12 drove great , noticed gear oil on floor traced it to front axel transfer switch , disconnected air lines. Supply line is just air. Getting gear oil from tranfer case side of switch air line.I checked transfer case not over filled. found ground wire on electric switch on tranfer case not grounded to frame attached that ground .test drove it still leaks @ switch but not as much as before. I drain all air from tanks after each running of truck. Anyone out their know of solution? I would really appriciate it.
Thanks in advance Thomas ( nick name Jay)

Attachments

hemichallenger

I would think the only way it could leak up that hose is that oil is getting around the oring and you would half to building up pressure inside from a possable vent issue.
Nice truck.

Last edited:

Tackettr

GI Jay,
Did you even find out what was causing the oil to come from your Air Switch for the front axle? I am having the same problem with mine. Thanks.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I may have a similar problem in my M923. On Saturday I moved the air valve on the transfer case to disable automatic engagement of the front axle in low range (photos and description are in another thread), and I temporarily disconnected the air line from that valve leading up towards the cab. When I had it off, about a dozen drops of what smelled like gear oil dripped out. I think that requires further investigation, and I'm interested in learning what you find on your truck.

Tackettr

Update: After 2 road trips at highways speeds the leak slowed down and stopped. I would guess that it leaked between a 1/4 to 1/2 quart before it stopped. I verified that the lines were routed correctly and blew out any remaining oil in the lines. I also verified that the level was correct in the transfer case.

It hasn't leaked any more out since. It is a Marine 923 that was condensed down(top, mirrors, exhaust, ect all off) for shipping or storage. Maybe someone put oil in the line to keep the servo from rusting????

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Maybe a sliding seal in the front axle engagement cylinder took a set and leaked, and then sealed back up after some use? I hope that mine has a self-fixing leak, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks