• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil leaking out wheel, what should i do???

supeman100

Every time i drive my bobbed deuce a large amount of oil starts seeping through on the back wheels. what should i do? is it gear oil? how do i fix it?deucebro.jpg Thanks!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are tons of articles on this site as well as the TMs needed to perform the tasks. This can be as simple as the axle flange gasket.

Flyingvan911

Ditto. Check fluid level, vent then wheel bearing seals. It couldn't hurt to repackage the hearings anyway since that fluid coming out will wash out the grease.

supeman100

I honestly dont know a ton on working on trucks. I had this truck restored for me. He is quoting me $500 for the work. Does that price sound ok? I would do it myself except i don't know how to do a ton.
thanks again!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly dont know a ton on working on trucks. I had this truck restored for me. He is quoting me $500 for the work. Does that price sound ok? I would do it myself except i don't know how to do a ton.
thanks again!
Since we don't know what the work the mechanic is quoting, we can't tell you if that's a good price. Sounds like a lot for fixing one wheel. If he's doing all six, its not so bad.

It would be a good idea for you to educate yourself by reading the TMs. Unless you find a mechanic that knows these vehicles and is honest, you could be throwing your money away.

MtnSnow

I would agree with Tow4 that $500 for all six would be a good price but way way to much for a single axle let alone a single wheel.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
$500 is not a bad price.

$500 is not a bad price, I get around $50 ph for working on 5ts, The Deuce Doctor get $40 ph for working on deuces, these rates ARE way lower then a standard truck shop. It takes Time to diagnose the problem, If the flange gasket, that is not to bad but WHY, the WHY needs to be fixed, still the hub needs to be pulled JUST to make sure it is ONLY the flange gasket, not something more, to make sure that there is no oil in the brakes, if there is, that needs to be dealt with, more then likely replacing BOTH seals at the minimum, repacking the bearings, adjusting the brakes, road testing. ALL of this HAS to be done once committed to the job, because if ANYTHING happens to the truck in the future, this repair WILL be looked at due to the safety aspect of the repair, the person doing the job can LOOSE everything and end up IN jail if the repair is not done right.

ALL of the above takes time that COULD be used working on another costumers repair, plus the overhead cost of just running a shop, so back to my first words of this post $500 IS NOT A BAD PRICE.

supeman100

The $500 is just for 1 wheel. Its a bobbed deuce so it is only the rear. I get where your coming from with the 500. If that much oil is coming out should i even drive it till its fixed?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The $500 is just for 1 wheel. Its a bobbed deuce so it is only the rear. I get where your coming from with the 500. If that much oil is coming out should i even drive it till its fixed?
Drive it to the shop ONLY, being a bobber, means you MAY only have THREE wheels braking, on dry road will not be to bad, drive knowing that you have a issue, on WET road, it will be REAL EASY to put the truck into a spin.

RaggedyMan

What 73m19 said

I've been waiting a while now to get mine back (long story & not my thread) for the same repair. Don't know what the normal rate is there but here it's $75/hour, I'm planning on $700-$800. Unfortunately I don't have the heavy stuff to work on anything larger than a p/u but I'm slowly getting tools and things together, maybe I should have bought all that stuff first. I'm only into this "hobby" 2 months now and almost half that time it's been sitting at a shop. The good news is I'm still steadily getting parts and upgrades delivered so they'll be plenty of play time soon. The down side is if I don't start doing some of the "big" things myself I may have to get a job.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What 73m19 said
. The down side is if I don't start doing some of the "big" things myself I may have to get a jobb.
A job takes the fun out of a hobby, because it cuts into hobby time/fun. With this SITE and the PROPER TMs, (which is also here) there is NOTHING that the average owner cannot do on these trucks (especially the older ones) which were designed so they can worked on by a "know everything" 18 year old.

TsgtB

There is not a lot that one guy CANT do... if you can change a flat, you can fix it. I've changed the motor by myself, getting the transmission back in was my hardest challenge, I just did my Hydraulic Head, and I've put a fuel pump in the tank, I've flipped my hubs and packed my bearings and changed my fluids.... There is nothing on these trucks that is "complicated", just HEAVY.

supeman100

I know i may sound stupid, but where is the axle vent? Im 17 and dont have a whole lot of mechanical knowledge.
Thanks for all the reply's and help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks