• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil on front wheels

tsivey

I have searched and come up empty. Both of my front wheels are coated with oil, but the drums seem to be dry. I thought I would ask the collective before I started ordering parts. Would this be as simple as drive hubs or should I be looking into wheel cylinders? I got the truck in April, noticed oil on the drivers side wheel. Found the boot ripped and replaced it, still leaking oil or maybe something else from somewhere. Now the passenger side wheel is showing signs of oil on it.

tsivey

Both inside and outside. The outside streaks from the center of the rim, but the inside is plenty wet as well. I have a remote brake fluid reserve, if it has lost fluid it hasn't lost much. That being said, I work on aircraft, and it seems a drop of oil goes a long way to make a mess.

RAYZER

I'll check it tomorrow. This has really started to get much worse over the past week.
Was asking if you added gear oil recently because if the diff was overfilled oil could run into the axle knuckles and leak out.
The oil level should be 1/2" below the differential fill hole.

Last edited:

tankie88

I changed the L/H axle seal twice.Once for a normal seal and the second time for a modified seal.It stopped leaking.Then the R/H seal started to leak.So I checked the axle breather,lo and behold the disc under the spring was sticking shut.So I took it all to bits and used the breather without the cap.I just put some plastic piping on it.No probs since.

peashooter

I changed the L/H axle seal twice.Once for a normal seal and the second time for a modified seal.It stopped leaking.Then the R/H seal started to leak.So I checked the axle breather,lo and behold the disc under the spring was sticking shut.So I took it all to bits and used the breather without the cap.I just put some plastic piping on it.No probs since.
ditto- check or replace your axle vent breather along with whatever else you do or you will be doing the same job over soon.

HeadForTheHills

Not sure if this is the same issue, trying to prevent starting a new thread::
I have a leak on the inside reareast passenger rim (super singles) it appears to be the drum, but seems that it could also be the axel seal? I only have the leak from that one rim..the only question I have is, do I have brakes? I'm planning to straight to the mechanic, but have no idea if it's safe. I'm guessing the air over drums will allow the brakes to work, but I want to do better than guess before I drive through the mountains

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks